San Leandro, CA
At Geltor we design award-winning ingredients for the world's biggest consumer product companies. Geltor is looking for a LAB ASSISTANT to join our team in San Leandro, CA.
The Lab Assistant will be contributing to successful experiments and workflow in the lab and pilot plant by preparing sterile glassware, supplies, and preparing media. This is a great opportunity to learn while supporting a variety of scientific disciplines (Analytical Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Fermentation, Downstream, and Lab Operations). The Lab Assistant will report to the Lab Manager and will interact daily with scientific staff. This is a full-time non-exempt position working 40 hours per week Monday-Friday.
- Transport, clean and sterilize glassware, plasticware and lab equipment by safely operating an autoclave, a commercial dishwasher (Lancer) and handwashing sensitive glassware
- Pack and prepare sterile supplies
- Assemble and disassemble fermentation equipment for cleaning and sterilization
- Prepare biological media, stock solutions, and buffers according to standard operating procedures to meet or exceed turn-around-time expectations; calculate media protocol changes as needed
- Record accurate batch records with methodical approach to media making
- Maintain lab, media prep rooms and chemical storage areas through general cleaning, inventory and organizing storage of lab supplies and glassware and prompt processing of packages and shipments
- Maintain a regular inventory of chemicals and ingredients; order as needed to maintain stock of general lab supplies, solutions and media to avoid delays in media production
- Safely handle and proper disposal of laboratory and biohazard waste
- Follow company policies, procedures and safety protocols including performance of weekly and monthly safety inspections (safety showers, eye wash stations, spill kits)
- Provide input in the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of lab processes and procedures
- Troubleshoot issues in real time; notify supervisor and coordinate with additional personnel as needed
- Associates degree or certificate in Biotechnology, Biotechnology Operations, Biotechnology Assistant or equivalent; Bachelors degree in a scientific discipline welcome
- 1 year of experience working in a lab
- Able to stand for long periods of time, walk, squat, bend, waist twist, kneel, climb stairs/ladders, reaching up to shoulder height, and routinely lift/carry/push/pull up to 50 lbs
- Knowledge of lab sanitation and sterilization methods, procedures, and equipment; experience with autoclaves and commercial dishwashers preferred
- Experience in management and disposal of biohazardous waste and hazardous chemicals; Title 22 training a plus
- A motivated self-starter able to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and proactively identify needs in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Familiarity with standard lab safety practices and procedures; experience with safety programs a plus
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail, reliable record keeping, and excellent organizational skills
- Customer service-oriented team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Excel and basic computer skills; experience keeping a lab notebook a plus
- Ability to learn and retain new concepts quickly
- Experience with lab practices, running & improving test methods, material preparation, and batch assessment preferred; knowledge of large batch Fermentation media preferred
Geltor designs high-performance, sustainable ingredients for consumer product companies by combining computation, biology and materials science. Our first products are collagen proteins optimized for cosmetics and personal care applications and produced through a proprietary animal-free fermentation process. The company was founded in 2015 and is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Pre-employment reference checks and drug-screening are required for certain positions.
Geltor is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply.