Pilot Operations Lead
San Leandro, CA
At Geltor we design award-winning ingredients for the world's biggest consumer product companies. Geltor is looking for a PILOT OPERATION LEAD to join our Downstream Process Development team in San Leandro, CA.
This position will be responsible for managing downstream pilot operation for developing and manufacturing Geltor’s proprietary proteins, performing supporting activities such as solid-liquid separation, protein extraction, membrane filtration, and drying operation. Additional activities will include defining & documenting operation practices to emphasize that all operations occur efficiently and safely, commissioning new equipment, maintaining and troubleshooting all equipment and designing schedules for Pilot Plant operations.
- Lead and manage pilot scale operation for protein processing such as cell disruption/protein extraction, centrifugation membrane filtration, depth filtration, spray drying and column adsorption from lab to pilot scale
- Perform routine maintenance of and/or troubleshooting for pilot plant equipment and serve as key point of contact for equipment upkeep.
- Draft and maintain equipment & process SOPs following cGMP guidelines.
- Provide training to personnel on safe handling and equipment operation
- Manage process and cleaning schedule to ensure proper process and equipment turnaround.
- Participate in troubleshooting initiatives processing, quality and equipment failures.
- Participate in pilot equipment and utility commissioning and decommissioning. Support pilot plant expansion and relocation projects.
- Be available to execute successful technology transfer and scale-up of processes to CRO/CMO partners.
- Establish and maintain excellent record keeping and inventory.
- Maintain a clean, organized and safe workplace.
- Train and mentor junior team members
- Lead by example, champion Geltor, and uphold company values; motivate, and inspire team members to do the same
- Associates degree in Engineering or Life Sciences. Bachelors degree a plus.
- 5+ years’ experience in pilot plant or manufacturing operations (food, biochemical and/or pharmaceutical). Strong knowledge of food GMP preferred.
- Understanding and working knowledge of sanitary biotech processes, systems, pilot scale manufacturing equipment, and downstream process scale-up and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of sanitary processing CIP/COP/sanitization of equipment and processing parts.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize and complete high-quality projects amidst tight timelines and competing deadlines
- Demonstrate mechanical proficiency, excellent record keeping and accountability
- Full written and verbal fluency in English, with the ability to discuss technical concepts with a variety of audiences
- Up to 20% travel required
Geltor designs high-performance, sustainable ingredients for consumer product companies by combining computation, biology and materials science. Our first products are collagen proteins optimized for cosmetics and personal care applications and produced through a proprietary animal-free fermentation process. The company was founded in 2015 and is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area.