Senior Scientist, Cell-based Assay Development
South San Francisco, CA /
Cell-based Assay Development /
GenEdit is a rapidly-growing, early-stage company that is developing a proprietary and novel delivery platform with the potential to transform genetic medicine. Our interdisciplinary team works together across chemistry, payload, formulation, screening, and preclinical groups to develop the next generation of gene therapies. GenEdit fosters an exciting and dynamic environment where we value impactful data and creative solutions to accelerate our progression from a platform technology to a pipeline of therapeutic candidates. We are seeking talented and motivated individuals to join our team and are expanding across all functions within the organization. Join us in South San Francisco, CA, to be at the forefront of the future of gene therapy.
GenEdit is seeking a talented and motivated individual to our join our organization to lead the development of cell-based in vitro assays to discover polymer nanoparticles that can deliver genetic medicines to primary immune cells, hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells (HSPC) and other cell-types of interest. This position reports to the Chief Technology Officer and will be responsible for the design and execution of cell-based screening assays to identify candidate polymer nanoparticles for further therapeutic product development. The ideal candidate will have deep experience in working with primary human and/or mouse immune and hematopoietic cells and cell-based assays for drug discovery.
He/she will be an independent and critical thinking scientist with attention to details to develop and optimize cell-based assays for consistent and reproducible results. This position will work in collaboration with the Chemistry, Formulation, and In Vivo Studies teams to identify and select candidate polymer nanoparticles for further therapeutic development.
- Project Leadership: The Sr. Scientist will develop, gain approval, and execute the workplan to complete the milestones and goals of the project(s) outlined in the overall company and program goals.
- Communication: The Sr. Scientist will represent the project internally and be responsible for communicating project progress to R&D management and executive leadership. He/she will address project issues and propose solutions. The Sr. Scientist will actively participate in internal scientific discussions and meetings and will represent GenEdit at alliance and joint steering committee meetings with external collaborators and partners.
- Innovation: The Sr. Scientist will participate in new target identification, R&D project goal prioritization, internal strategic discussions and decisions, and will provide expert scientific guidance, as needed. In addition, he/she may work closely with the Senior Director of Corporate Strategy and the CBO to evaluate relevant innovative technologies and in/out-licensing opportunities as required.
Education and Qualifications:
- Ph.D., or equivalent in a relevant life science field
- At least 4 years of scientific/pharma research and development experience with developing cell-based assays for screening and identifying bioactive molecules.
- Proficiency with primary cell isolation and culture, flow cytometry and data analysis, cytokine profiling, ELISA, and related assays.
- Strong knowledge and working experience with primary human and/or mouse immune and hematopoietic cells.
- Experience wth other human and/or mouse primary cell-types a plus.
- Familiarity and experience with PCR, qPCR, Western blots, and related methods are a plus
- Previous experience with high-throughput screening and robotics is a plus
- Experience in gene therapy and/or genetic medicines is a plus
- Work authorization in the US is required
Skills and abilities
- Intellectually agile and able to thrive in a fast-paced, innovative environment
- Experience with leading and motivating direct report(s) and working collaboratively with internal collaborators and peers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Creative and pro-active approach to problem-solving
- High-level analytical capability
- Personable, sociable, and eager to help build Genedit’s culture and future
- Willingness to “roll up the sleeves” and work as part of a team on all aspects of the project.
- Open-minded, flexible, and cooperative in a dynamic and fast-growing company
- Highly professional, motivated, energetic, and “can-do”, problem-solving attitude
At GenEdit we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enable us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, and the world.