Director/Sr. Director, Platform Technology Project Leader
South San Francisco, CA /
GenEdit is a rapidly-growing, early-stage company that is developing a proprietary and novel delivery platform with the potential to transform genetic medicine. Our interdisciplinary team works together across chemistry, payload, formulation, screening, and preclinical groups to develop the next generation of gene therapies. GenEdit fosters an exciting and dynamic environment where we value impactful data and creative solutions to accelerate our progression from a platform technology to a pipeline of therapeutic candidates. We are seeking talented and motivated individuals to join our team and are expanding across all functions within the organization. Join us in South San Francisco, CA, to be at the forefront of the future of gene therapy.
GenEdit is seeking a talented and motivated individual to our join our organization to lead our Platform Technology external collaboration(s) and internal research projects to discover proprietary non-viral, non-lipid nanoparticles for the delivery of genetic medicines. The Director/Sr. Director will report directly to the Chief Technical Officer and will be the primary scientific point-of-contact and liaison for key external collaborations. This position will be responsible for developing and executing project objectives for collaborations and internal projects focused on discovering novel polymer nanoparticles for the in vivo delivery of genetic medicines to target tissues and cells. This person should be experienced in leading project teams of multi-functional departments to achieve project milestones and goals within budget and timeline. The Director/Sr. Director will interact with internal R&D management, corporate business development and strategy leaders, external scientific and technical advisors, CROs, and CDMOs, as needed.
The Director/Sr. Director will be a contributing member of the R&D management team to plan and execute on company objectives and R&D strategy for all programs. This person must be a strong scientist with a deep understanding of the concepts in gene therapy and knowledge of the drug discovery process from exploratory research to IND submission. This person must be able to guide and drive the project team to make decisions and recommendations to the executive team, is a critical and creative problem solver, and be comfortable in a dynamic, start-up environment to find solutions to scientific, technical, and resource allocation issues to move programs forward. The ideal candidate will be a team player with excellent communications skills and work collaboratively across all functions within the company and with external partners.
- Project Team Leadership: The Project Leader will develop, gain approval, and execute the workplan to complete the milestones and goals of collaboration(s) as outlined in the agreed scope of work or as outlined in the program goals for internal projects. In collaboration with the project manager, the Project Leader will lead the project team to meet goals, criteria, deliverables, milestones, timelines, and budget for each project.
- Communication: The Project Leader will represent the team internally and be responsible for communicating project progress to the executive leaders and non-executive directors. He/she will address project issues and propose solutions. The Project Leader will actively participate in internal scientific and strategic meetings and will represent GenEdit at alliance and joint steering committee meetings with external collaborators and partners
- Innovation: The Project Leader will participate in new target identification, R&D project goal prioritization, internal strategic discussions and decisions, and will provide expert scientific guidance. In addition, he/she will work closely with the Senior Director of Corporate Strategy and the CBO to evaluate relevant innovative technologies and in/out-licensing opportunities as required.
Education and Qualifications
- Ph.D, or equivalent in a relevant life science field
- At least 10 years of scientific/pharma research and development experience with at least 5 years of experience of management/leadership experience overseeing R&D activities and/or project teams that lead to the progression of pharmaceutical projects.
- Experience networking within the life science ecosystem with the proven ability to establish collaborative working relationships with external collaborators and partners, in-house team members, academic laboratories, and industry thought leaders.
- Intellectually agile and able to thrive in a fast-paced, innovative environment
- Work authorization in the US is required
Skills and abilities
- Ability to represent Genedit as the main contact point in working with external collaborators and partners
- Strong knowledge and experience in the gene therapy
- Experience with leading and motivating the team in a matrixed environment.
- Experience in developing genetic medicines is a plusExcellent oral and written communication skills
- Creative and pro-active approach to problem-solving
- High-level analytical capability
- Personable, sociable, and eager to help build Genedit’s culture and future
- Willingness to “roll-up the sleeves” and work as part of a team on all aspects of the project.
- Open-minded, flexible, and cooperative in a dynamic and fast-growing company
- Highly professional, motivated, energetic, and “can-do”, problem-solving attitude
At GenEdit we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enable us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, and the world.