12 month Software Engineer - Internship 2023-2024
Cambridge or Oxford /
Precision Health – PH - Engineering /
Genomics plc is a pioneering health technology company focused on enhancing every step of the patient pathway, particularly for those common diseases that affect most people and take up most of our precious healthcare resources. Our tools and systems, powered by genomics, improve every step of the patient pathway, from disease prevention to screening, diagnosis, treatment, and even the development of new medicines. Our vision is that, in time, everyone will benefit from our genomic technology, helping individuals and entire populations to live longer, healthier lives. Our culture is honest and transparent. We have big plans and are looking for people to join us and make a real impact. You will have the opportunity to work with a diverse, energetic, and smart bunch of people throughout the company.
There are a number of different engineering teams that make up Precision Health Engineering. Teams have a range of responsibilities: from optimising the user experience (UX) of our customers; to reliably productionising Genomics’ cutting edge science so that we can process large amounts of data; to writing REST APIs, and interfacing with third party systems.
- To develop software to implement, deploy, and maintain our digital health platforms, which includes backend, frontend, infrastructure, and bioinformatics elements.
- To ensure production code is written in compliance with our quality assurance process.
- Working closely with other software engineers on the team to write software and develop systems.
- Mastering new technologies and techniques.
- Devoting 10% of your working time to explore new ideas, and share what you learn through mentorship, pair programming and tech talks.
- Completed the first year of study for a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering (and expect to complete a second year before the placement begins).
- Enthusiasm for problem solving and an attention to detail.
- Willingness to work with new technologies.
- Good communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex ideas to an audience with a range of technical backgrounds.
- Experience using Linux-based operating systems.
- Interest in genetics.
25 days holiday + 3 days "End of Year Break" (excl. bank holidays)
Bank your Bank Holiday Scheme - trade UK bank holidays to use on date of cultural significance to you
Flexible and remote working opportunities
Virtual workshops and Spotlight talks
Learning and development opportunities
Critical illness cover
Payroll giving scheme
Organised sports activities and social events
Would you like to learn more? Great, we’d love to chat. Please reach out for more information and to see if this opportunity is right for you!
Genomics plc is dedicated to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Given the sensitive nature of data used in Genomics plc you will be expected to accept and understand your duty to keep data secure, supporting the information security program based on the ISO/IEC ISO 27001 standard.
Should you also have any unspent criminal convictions we ask that you raise this at your first meeting with a Talent Acquisition team member and we can discuss it in a transparent, understanding forum. Failure to do so could cause potential future offers to be rescinded.