12 month Software Internship - 2023-2024
Cambridge or Oxford /
Operations – Core Technology /
Genomics plc is a pioneering health technology company focused on enhancing every step of the patient pathway, particularly for those common diseases that affect most people and take up most of our precious healthcare resources. Our tools and systems, powered by genomics, improve every step of the patient pathway, from disease prevention to screening, diagnosis, treatment, and even the development of new medicines. Our vision is that, in time, everyone will benefit from our genomic technology, helping individuals and entire populations to live longer, healthier lives. Our culture is honest and transparent. We have big plans and are looking for people to join us and make a real impact. You will have the opportunity to work with a diverse, energetic, and smart bunch of people throughout the company.
At Genomics plc we are more than just a collection of scientific experts. Our core technology teams work to ensure that the cutting-edge methods developed by our scientists are incorporated into our core data services and become the building blocks to power the next generation of insights. We ingest, harmonise, quality control, analyse, and serve genomic data via a data services product that precision health and therapeutics R&D teams use to deliver scientific insights powered by Genomics.
Our Core Software team is responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining the software systems, tools, and infrastructure that powers the data services product. We value well-crafted software and clean architecture, developed through a steady process of incremental change. Our software developers continually strive to master new technologies and techniques, and always aim to choose the right tool for the task at hand. We reserve 10% of our working time for the exploration of new ideas, and share what we have learned with each other through mentorship, pair programming, and tech talks.
Team members will be expected to gather requirements, design systems, plan and estimate implementation work, and produce quality code – all in close collaboration with colleagues. We are flexible in terms of what programming languages and paradigms we use: if at least two other team members are comfortable working in a language, it is a candidate for production use. Our philosophy is that development skills are largely independent of language, and the ideal applicant would be able to learn the basics of a new language in a matter of days, and to become productive in it within a few weeks. For this reason, rather than requiring applicants to have a specific set of language skills, we expect a successful applicant will have had exposure to a number of different languages as a side-effect of previous development projects, and should have demonstrable skill in at least two of them.
- Craft high quality software in collaboration with team members
- Develop and maintain testing, packaging, and deployment infrastructure
- Developing useful, high quality, and well-crafted software for our core technology systems, using good software development practices (e.g. distributed source code management, code review, testing, pair programming)Gathering requirements, designing systems, planning/estimating implementation work, and producing quality code
- Conducting performance measurement and profiling of applications using Linux-based operating systems and tools
- Mastering new technologies and techniques, while always aiming to choose the right tool for the task at hand
- Working in productive partnerships with data scientists, statisticians, and other domain experts
- Devoting 10% of your working time to explore new ideas, and share what you learn through mentorship, pair programming and tech talks
- Skill coding in multiple programming languages
- Critical thinking skills and attention to detailGood communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex ideas to an audience with a range of technical backgrounds
- Completed the first year of study for a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering (and expect to complete a second year before the placement begins)
- Experience producing useful software (perhaps as part of personal projects, contributions to open source software, or previous employment)
- Enthusiasm for problem solving
- Interest in being part of transformative work in the field of genomics and healthcare
- Experience using Linux-based operating systems
- Experience and/or interest in working with CI tooling such as Gitlab CI
- Experience and/or interest in working with deployment tooling such as Ansible, Packer, and Terraform
- Understanding of statistics and/or genetics (although this is definitely not required!)
25 days holiday + 3 days "End of Year Break" (excl. bank holidays)
Bank your Bank Holiday Scheme - trade UK bank holidays to use on date of cultural significance to you
Flexible and remote working opportunities
Virtual workshops and Spotlight talks
Learning and development opportunities
Critical illness cover
Payroll giving scheme
Organised sports activities and social events
Would you like to learn more? Great, we’d love to chat. Please reach out for more information and to see if this opportunity is right for you!
Genomics plc is dedicated to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Given the sensitive nature of data used in Genomics plc you will be expected to accept and understand your duty to keep data secure, supporting the information security program based on the ISO/IEC ISO 27001 standard.
Should you also have any unspent criminal convictions we ask that you raise this at your first meeting with a Talent Acquisition team member and we can discuss it in a transparent, understanding forum. Failure to do so could cause potential future offers to be rescinded.