Cambridge or Oxford /
Operations – Core Technology /
Full Time Permanent
Genomics plc is a pioneering health technology company focused on enhancing every step of the patient pathway, particularly for those common diseases that affect most people and take up most of our precious healthcare resources. Our tools and systems, powered by genomics, improve every step of the patient pathway, from disease prevention to screening, diagnosis, treatment, and even the development of new medicines. Our vision is that, in time, everyone will benefit from our genomic technology, helping individuals and entire populations to live longer, healthier lives. Our culture is honest and transparent. We have big plans and are looking for people to join us and make a real impact. You will have the opportunity to work with a diverse, energetic, and smart bunch of people throughout the company.
What you’ll be doing
As a Bioinformatician, you will be responsible for delivering high-quality, trusted, and timely genomic data for our ground-breaking, genome-derived insights for healthcare providers and individuals about the risk of future disease, and to drive the discovery of novel therapeutic targets.
Data is vital to the work of our scientists and the success of Genomics plc. Our Data Operations team is responsible for the acquisition, harmonisation, quality control, and release of datasets linking genomic variation to human health and disease. This role has a primary focus on the latter three of these areas, but may also extend to supporting other data team responsibilities such as data discovery and acquisition as required.
The data we process includes summary statistics (GWAS) and large-scale individual-level genotypic (array-based, WGS, WES) and phenotypic data from a wide variety of sources including the scientific community, commercial partners, and data we have generated in-house.
- Responsible for the end to end ingestion of large-scale genetic and genomic datasets, using a mix of manual processing and existing automated protocols.
- Responsible for ensuring high quality and timely ingestion of data consumed by our engineered scientific workflows to meet scientists' needs, and configuration of workflow parameters and dataset metadata.
- Influencing quality control standards and artefacts, and responsibility for both assessing diagnostic data and providing requirements to software development and engineering teams to improve diagnostic data.
- Working in agile teams with software developers and engineers to optimise and automate ingestion workflows, and defining requirements to ensure the continuous improvement of these workflows, our quality control processes and Data Ops’ services to Science.
- Experience working with GWAS manipulating large-scale individual-level genotypic and phenotypic datasets.
- The ability to problem solve and overcome unexpected scientific or data-related complications and challenges.
- Competence in either python or R.
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to work both collaboratively and autonomously.
- 25 days holiday + 3 day over Xmas (excl. bank holidays)
- Bank your Bank Holiday Scheme - trade your public holidays to use on dates of cultural significance to you
- Flexible and remote working opportunities
- Virtual Workshops and Spotlight talks
- Training and Development Opportunities
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Critical illness Cover
- Payroll giving scheme: tax-free charity donations
- Cycle to work scheme
- Organised sports activities
Would you like to learn more? Great, we’d love to chat. Please reach out for more information and to see if this opportunity is right for you!
Genomics plc is dedicated to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.