Game Narrative Designer
Los Angeles, CA /
Why build in the web 2 world when you can be part of the future?
Developed by Monarch Gaming, Genopets is the world's first Free-to-Play, Move-to-Earn mobile NFT game built on Solana †.
At Genopets, we make it fun to live an active lifestyle by merging the nurture and evolution of Tamagotchi, with the training and battling of Pokémon and the fitness and social incentives of Strava. Along the way, players earn crypto for staying active in their daily lives.
With over $8.3M raised in our seed round led by premiere gaming and crypto venture capital firms Konvoy Ventures and Pantera Capital, the Genoverse has grown to a community of over 200k people in just the last 6 months. We’re looking for talented dreamers and builders to help us develop and scale our fantastic game, community, and world.
Learn more about our game here. Keep scrolling to learn more about the role.
† If you understand all the concepts in this statement, seriously consider joining the team. If you don’t, but you’re intrigued, don’t worry—we can teach you.
About the Position
We’re seeking a seasoned Narrative Designer with hands-on experience in creating story-driven games that support strong player agency. You’ll be the bridge between writers and designers, merging plot, dialogue, lore, riddles, puzzles, flow and gameplay into a cohesive, compelling game. You’ll also work with artists and audio engineers to create 2D walkthroughs with storyboards and 3D mock-ups to better convey your ideas. You’re passionate about taking interactive narrative experiences into new frontiers, whether that’s more immersive character interactions, innovative branching dialogue designs, virtual reality, or alternative reality gameplay.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate with the Creative Director, lead designer and lead writer to create a seamless narrative whole from gameplay and story (lore, characters, quests, dialogue)
- Assist in the creation and development of story in collaboration with the lead writer and the writing team
- Assist in the creation and development of gameplay in collaboration with systems designers, level designers, and artists
What You'll Need
- Knowledge and experience in interactive storytelling, using both traditional and experimental systems and platforms, including dialogue implementation and environmental storytelling
- Excellent communication skills, including both problem resolution and pitching ideas
- Demonstrable skill with design tools and implementation, including implementing and combining character animations, audio files, visual effects and props to create engaging narrative
- Ability to work and contribute effectively and collaboratively in a team environment
- Solid problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Passion for playing and designing great narrative games, and knowledgeable about the leading games on the market
- Thorough knowledge of game design and development process as well as the narrative development process
- At least 5 years of experience as a Narrative Designer or Writer on a game development team
- At least 5 years experience writing for MMORPGs
- At least 5 years experience working on mobile games
- Good artistic sensibilities and great attention to details
- Familiarity with blockchain gaming and Play-to-Earn preferred
- Familiarity and interest with alternate reality games, cryptography, riddles and scavenger hunts preferred
What We Promise
- Competitive compensation & superb benefits
- Exciting and fun environment committed to creating truly unique, mission-led products
- Opportunities to build, shape & grow an exciting business in a hyper-innovative space
- Emphasis on mentorship and professional development, plus a ton of growth potential
- Flexible vacation allowance
- A team that understands that your success is our success!