Data Controls Analyst
Oakville, ON, Canada
Data & Analytics – Professional Services
Who is Geotab:
Geotab, a global leader in connected transportation and IoT, is one of the fastest-growing technology companies in North America and a certified “Great Place to Work.” Each day, Geotab processes billions of data points from over 1.8 million connected vehicles. Geotab extracts actionable insights from this data, empowering businesses to track and manage fleets of every size. Geotab’s hardware devices, software platforms and applications help keep drivers in over 130 countries compliant, safe and efficient. Global demand for telematics is increasing and Geotab is leading the way. Are you ready to join us? To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook today!
Who we are looking for:
Do you have experience using data science tools? Are you ready to solve business problems using data analysis? Does the fast-paced world of telematics excite you? If so, you might be the newest member of our Data & Analytics Team. Geotab’s systems process billions of records per day from vehicles in over 130 countries. Data Analysts use a variety of data science techniques to extract value from this data environment, which will ultimately benefit our wide range of end users. New hires go through an intensive onboarding program and benefit from our popular “Lunch & Learn” sessions. Why not apply today?
What are the details of this position:
As a Data Controls Analyst, you will play a crucial role in producing compliance monitoring, reporting and intelligent insights from Geotab’s data and analytics (DNA)environment. You will need to develop queries and write code that will draw insight by leveraging a number of different tools and technologies to assist in managing, monitoring, auditing and reporting on the key risk and performance metrics related to data compliance and control effectiveness. The Data Controls Analyst shall work closely with Data privacy engineers, Data governance specialists, Data Scientists, Data Engineers, as well as other internal departments, such as Software Development and Solutions Engineering. The results of your analysis will be developed into customer-facing data products, so you must understand how our Partners and Customers can benefit from the analysis performed. You will also work with Business Analysts to come up with data solutions that enable our business to measure and monitor the overall state of our data and analytics program. You will also have strong analytical and project management skills.
Duties and Tasks/Essential Functions:
- Develop SQL queries using Google BigQuery against Geotab’s big data environment
- Use Jupyter/IPython Notebooks and data science techniques to analyze vehicle data and create derivative datasets
- Assist the Embedded department with device troubleshooting and providing meaningful insight using BigQuery data
- Design and implement easy-to-use dashboards, reports, metrics, and monitors based on GO device and vehicle data to ensure optimal performance and effective understanding of the Geotab fleet of vehicles
- Work with data scientists and leverage machine learning models that have been developed against Geotab’s big data environment
- Translate business needs into data analysis and data products available to Geotab’s customers and partners
- Listen to design discussions and make detailed notes, documenting requirements and technical design
- Provide assistance to support staff and resellers from a technical perspective. This may be in the form of ad-hoc questions relating to how certain features work or verifying the behaviour by reviewing code
- Degree in Computer Science, Electrical or Software Engineering, or a related discipline
- 4+ years SQL experience (experience with Google BigQuery preferred)
- 2+ years experience with data science tools (experience with Python, Pandas, or NumPy preferred)
- Experience extracting value from very large datasets
- Experience working closely with business analysts to arrive at data solutions
- Experience with project management, database design and writing queries
- Familiarity with machine learning concepts, scikit-learn or Tensorflow preferred
- Experience with dashboarding and metrics monitoring and reporting
- Experience with the application of data risk management standards and audit and control frameworks
What makes our staff passionate about Geotab?
Table Tennis at the office - bring your own bat!
Great accommodation (brand new office building, height-adjustable desks)
Light breakfast served daily
Hot lunches or fresh sandwiches served every Friday
Geotab-sponsored sports teams and social events
Full medical benefits and 4% company matching RSP (full-time employees only)
Our Core Values:
Geotab is shaping the future of telematics. Using leading technology, we embrace change and challenge the status quo. To stay ahead of the curve, we keep Geotabbers energized with data bootcamps, course subsidies, Friday lunches, and more. We believe collaboration leads to innovation; our teams stretch across floors, cities and continents. All employees, from the CEO to the summer students, maintain an open-door policy. Whether we’re fine-tuning our products, or boosting our office culture, we’re building a foundation for long-term success. To us, this means safer roads, more efficient fleets and a team of dynamic Geotabbers!
Geotab encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Geotab is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities throughout the interview, selection and employment process. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at (416) - 434 4309.