Oakville, ON, Canada /
Data & Analytics – Data Operations /
Permanent - Full Time
Who we are:
Geotab is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Marketplace, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Ours is a fast paced, ever changing environment. Geotabbers accept that challenge and are willing to take on new tasks and activities - ones that may not always be described in the initial job description. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.
Who you are:
The Data Architect is responsible for the optimal structuring and modelling of Geotab’s data environment. This role collaborates closely with DataOps developers to ensure all production assets adhere to best practices in regard to naming conventions, data location and schema design. Simultaneously, the Data Architect works with the Data Infrastructure team to guide the functional requirements of Geotab’s data environment.
What you'll do:
The role will have the opportunity to spearhead the development of an enterprise-wide schema to facilitate consumption of our data assets. Overall, the Data Architect is a key contributor to the foundations required to create a single path to production for all production-ready data assets at Geotab.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Define best practices for structuring data in Geotab’s data environment.
- Define best practices in naming conventions for data assets.
- Define guidelines on schema design for tables in Geotab’s data environment.
- Lead design of schemas of external sources ingested into Geotab’s data environment.
- Ensure uniqueness of data across data assets to create single points of truth.
- Work with DataOps developers to design schemas for tables from production pipelines.
- Collaborate with DataOps developers to locate data from production pipelines in appropriate destinations within Geotab’s data environment.
- Coordinate with Data Community and Data Operations, Team Lead to ensure business glossary and context are captured as data assets are added to production.
- Coordinate with Data Operations, Team Lead to ensure changes related to data structure, table schemas and deprecation of data assets are handled appropriately.
- Coordinate with Data Infrastructure to devise migration process of data assets.
- Define best practices for supporting multiple versions of data assets.
- Analyze usage patterns on data assets to recommend appropriate partitioning, clustering, and normalization of tables.
- Work with AVP Data Operations to evaluate and select a data modelling software.
- Design company-wide schemas for reporting and analytics based on contextual background of data assets and usage patterns.
- Coordinate with Data Operations, Team Lead to transition production pipelines into data modelling software.
- Work with Data Operations, Team Lead on building capability to trigger model updates based on versioning and backfilling.
- Work with AVP Data Operations to ensure data models support consumption strategy.
- Correspond with Data Infrastructure on functional requirements of Geotab’s data environment.
- Coordinate with Business Systems on roadmap of system data dictionaries
What you’ll bring to this role:
- Post-secondary Degree/Diploma specialization in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Science, Mathematics, or a related field.
- 3-5 years of experience in Data Architecture.
- 1-3 years experience as a Data Analyst or a similar role.
- Experience with the creation of enterprise data models and schema design is required.
- Experience working with business analysts to align data models with business context is required.
- Experience with data modelling tools and principles is required.
- Strong experience with creating ERDs and data dictionaries is required.
- Experience working with cloud data warehouse technologies is considered an asset.
- Experience working with big data to derive production data is considered an asset.
- Experience with ETL/ELT frameworks and technologies is considered an asset.
- Strong interpersonal relationship building skills.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to problem solve to well-judged decisions.
- Strong team player with the ability to engage with all levels of the organization.
- Technical competence using software programs, including but not limited to, Google Suite for business (Sheets, Docs, Slides).
- Entrepreneurial mindset and comfortable in a flat organization.
Why job seekers choose Geotab:
Work from home and flex work arrangements
Home office reimbursement program
Online learning and networking opportunities
Electric vehicle purchase incentive program
Competitive medical and dental benefits (full-time employees only)
Retirement savings program (full-time employees only)
How we work:
At Geotab, we understand that the world is always changing and that we need to change with it. Geotab has adopted a hybrid model for working, including a flexible work from home program, with the opportunity to work in our safe, clean offices. When working from home, you are required to have a reliable internet connection with at least 50mb DL/10mb UL. Remote work is supported with cloud-based applications, collaboration tools and asynchronous working. The health and safety of employees are a top priority. We encourage work-life balance and keep the Geotab culture going strong with online social events, chat rooms and gatherings. Join us and help reshape the future of technology!
We believe that ensuring diversity is fundamental to our future growth and progress and is an integral part of our business. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that is rich in diversity and a place where people from various backgrounds can work together. Geotab encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. We will ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account as part of performance management, career development, training and redeployment processes. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our diversity and inclusion as well as accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to learn more about what happens with your personal data.