Data Analyst, Embedded Systems
Oakville, ON, Canada
Automotive – Data & Analytics
Who is Geotab:
Geotab, a global leader in connected transportation and IoT, is one of the fastest-growing technology companies in North America and a certified “Great Place to Work.” Each day, Geotab processes billions of data points from over 1.8 million connected vehicles. Geotab extracts actionable insights from this data, empowering businesses to track and manage fleets of every size. Geotab’s hardware devices, software platforms and applications help keep drivers in over 130 countries compliant, safe and efficient. Global demand for telematics is increasing and Geotab is leading the way. Are you ready to join us? To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook today!
Who we are looking for:
Geotab Data Scientists and Analysts share the common passion for utilizing big data to find simple solutions for complex problems and to drive business decisions. We leverage the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) as our big-data environment, and most of our development work happens in Python and SQL. If this sounds like you apply today!
Details of this Position:
As a Data Analyst you will be a part of the Geotab Automotive Engineering Department, and work with both data analysts and firmware engineers to drive insights and values from massive amounts of vehicle data. Geotab’s systems process over 4 billion data records per day, including GPS, accelerometer, engine and debug data etc. from over 1.8 million vehicles in 100+ countries across the globe. The data is being collected from these over 1.8 million installed devices and we need to make sure the devices are working properly and collecting accurate and complete data. As part of the team, you will clean, analyze, visualize, and provide insights/reports on massive amounts of data. This role will work closing with the firmware team and gain domain-specific knowledge of GO telematics system and firmware development.
Duties and Tasks/Essential Functions:
- Interact with Geotab’s BigData Infrastructure on Google BigQuery using SQL and develop Jupyter notebooks using Python
- Work with our firmware engineers and other stakeholders to identify the firmware issues and implement visualizations and reports using the data in various formats
- Process, clean and verify the integrity of the data that was collected by our product, and set up necessary monitors and alerts
- Leverage big data tools and assist firmware engineers with troubleshooting and providing meaningful insights
- Mine messy data from vehicles and build accurate and useful datasets in BigQuery to meet different requirements
- Develop SQL queries to detect anomaly behaviours from our GO devices and vehicles
- Make recommendations for new metrics, techniques, and strategies to improve the reliability and quality of Geotab device and firmware
- Post Secondary Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 2+ years’ experience using Jupyter Notebook, Python and data analytics/visualization packages, such as Pandas, Numpy, Matplotlib etc.
- 2+ years’ experience using SQL and able to manipulate large amounts of data in DBMS or data warehouse (experience with Google BigQuery preferred)
- Must be an organized, inquisitive, and results-oriented team player
- Paying close attention to detail and solving complex problems effectively will be crucial in this role
What makes our staff passionate about Geotab?
Table Tennis at the office - bring your own bat!
Great accommodation (brand new office building, height-adjustable desks)
Light breakfast served daily
Hot lunches or fresh sandwiches served every Friday
Geotab-sponsored sports teams and social events
Full medical benefits and 4% company matching RSP (full-time employees only)
Our Core Values:
Geotab is shaping the future of telematics. Using leading technology, we embrace change and challenge the status quo. To stay ahead of the curve, we keep Geotabbers energized with data bootcamps, course subsidies, Friday lunches, and more. We believe collaboration leads to innovation; our teams stretch across floors, cities and continents. All employees, from the CEO to the summer students, maintain an open-door policy. Whether we’re fine-tuning our products, or boosting our office culture, we’re building a foundation for long-term success. To us, this means safer roads, more efficient fleets and a team of dynamic Geotabbers!
Geotab encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Geotab is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities throughout the interview, selection and employment process. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at (416) - 434 4309.