Embedded Systems Developer - Linux
Embedded Engineering – IOX Development /
Permanent - Full Time
Who we are:
Geotab ® is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work™.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Geotab Marketplace ®, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Ours is a fast paced, ever changing environment. Geotabbers accept that challenge and are willing to take on new tasks and activities - ones that may not always be described in the initial job description. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram. Join our talent network to learn more about job opportunities and company news.
Who you are:
Do you like Embedded Systems, Real Time, Linux, Electronics and anything related with low level computing? Do you have an interest in Linux Kernel development? Do you write your age in hexadecimal? We are searching for Engineers that are passionate about these topics, without fear of new challenges and with a lot of ideas about how to improve our project.
What you'll do:
In this Job, we’re developing the next generation of products which will be connected to our client vehicles, based on Linux. As part of this team, you will take part in the design and development decisions of this project and develop the BSP for the new devices of the company.
How you'll make an impact:
- Develop an in-depth understanding of Geotab’s devices firmware and how all the modules work.
- Perform firmware development in the required area of expertise (modem, GPS, vehicle data, security, etc) using C and C++ over Linux, keeping in mind the limitations of an embedded system (memory, etc…).
- Perform the BSP integration of the firmware, based on Linux with Yocto.
- Write unit tests and perform integration and system-level testing in both real and simulated vehicles, to demonstrate that new features meet design requirements.
- Conduct comprehensive testing and code reviews to ensure that industry coding standards are followed.
- Debug firmware issues and identify areas for code improvements.
- Keep up-to-date documentation for all areas of responsibility.
What you'll bring to this role:
- 3+ years experience in embedded systems design with preemptive, multitasking real-time operating systems and ideally Linux Kernel development.
- Strong knowledge of programming languages (C) in an embedded software context.
- Exposure and/or experience with RTOS and Linux.
- Exposure and/or experience with SCRUM.
- Experience in hands-on development and troubleshooting on embedded targets.
- Experience working with encryption or cryptographic modules.
- Understanding of underlying electronics to the point where it influences firmware development and debugging.
- Familiar with data structures, algorithms, and design patterns common to embedded (resource-constrained) systems development.
- Experience with reverse engineering (protocols, binaries, etc…) is highly desirable.
- Adequate knowledge of reading schematics and data sheets for components.
- Able to research and solve open-ended design problems.
- Experience working with Yocto is highly valued.
- Experience working within a technical or engineering organization, with knowledge of the high-technology/telematics industry is an asset.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in both Spanish and English.
- Ability to communicate and document complex technical systems and decisions.
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work well under pressure and respond to multiple fast changing priorities.
- Strong team-player with the ability to engage with all levels of the organization.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and comfortable in a flat organization.
- Well versed in modern scripting languages (e.g. bash, Rust, Python, TCL, etc.) is highly valued.
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role! Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Please note: Geotab does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Geotab employees.
What makes our staff passionate about Geotab?
Work from home and flex working arrangements
Home office reimbursement program
Fantastic state of the art office
Public transportation reimbursement
Employer pension contributions
Generous medical & dental benefits offered to you and family members
Electric vehicle purchase incentive program
Subsidized fitness membership
Co-pay tuition reimbursement
*The above are offered to full-time permanent employees only
How we work:
At Geotab, we have adopted a flexible first working model in that we have systems, functions, programs and policies in place to support both in-person and virtual work. However, you are welcomed and encouraged to come into our beautiful, safe, clean offices as often as you like. When working from home, you are required to have a reliable internet connection with at least 50mb DL/10mb UL. Virtual work is supported with cloud-based applications, collaboration tools and asynchronous working. The health and safety of employees are a top priority. We encourage work-life balance and keep the Geotab culture going strong with online social events, chat rooms and gatherings. Join us and help reshape the future of technology!
We believe that ensuring diversity is fundamental to our future growth and progress and is an integral part of our business. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that is rich in diversity and a place where people from various backgrounds can work together. Geotab encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. We will ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account as part of performance management, career development, training and redeployment processes. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our diversity and inclusion as well as accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to learn more about what happens with your personal data.