Academic Leadership – Whole School /
Full Time (Perm)
Currently, more than 1800 students are learning at GESS supported by more than 400 full time and part time academic and administrative staff members. In August 2018 GESS moved to Dairy Farm Road to a modern new school campus located at the edge of Singapore’s largest nature reserve.
The German European School Singapore (GESS) is excited to announce a newly created position of Academic Director. Reporting into, and working alongside the Principal, the Academic Director has a whole school remit in leading the pedagogical sections of GESS. The Academic Director is part of the Senior Leadership team.
The roles’ primary responsibility is managing and improving the quality of education delivered at GESS by driving academic excellence in consideration of the requirements of the different curricula (German Abitur and International Baccalaureate) and overseeing teaching standards for both.
This includes, but is not limited to the following:
· Shape the strategic direction of the different curricula and academic programmes that engage and extends students.
· Demonstrate leadership, inspiration, and guidance on curriculum matters
· Foster a learning and teaching atmosphere focused on academic excellence, and oversee academic intervention and support programmes for relevant students.
· Develop consistent and integrated teaching and learning policies
Some key areas of responsibility will include, but not be limited to, the following:
· Alongside the Principal, take a lead in development of curriculum of both section and supervising pedagogical development and new educational concepts and communicate with stakeholders about curriculum issues
· Coordination of development of pedagogical policies, and school profile by steering or leading of work groups in cooperation with the respective heads or coordinators, in accordance with the Principal
Whole school Education Strategy and Vision
· Working with the Senior Leadership team and academic leaders to
o Implement and develop the educational vision and strategy of the School
o Support the development of academic partnerships
o Drive educational standards and continually raise performance across the whole school towards Academic Excellence.
o Set and communicate education priorities and performance standards for all educators
Learning, Development and Leadership
· Partner with the Director of HR to assist and support the professional development of Learning and Development for educators, enabling teachers achieving their objectives based on realistic targets.
· Contribute to the development of leadership programmes to ensure succession on key academic roles.
· Guide, advise and support the appointment of senior leaders (and teachers as appropriate) and represent the relevant sections on other appointments for key roles as requested.
· Support the Principal and relevant Heads in evaluating educational resourcing, curriculum, and staffing provision in the school.
· Partner with the Director of HR to workforce planning on short and medium term for educators.
The Academic Director will be passionate about delivering quality and innovative education and be willing and able to act as a role model to earn the respect of students, colleagues, and parents, along with:
· A strong sense of responsibility and a commitment to GESS vision, mission and strategy
· Being driven to improve standards and develop the school.
· A strong analytical skills and data-driven evaluation capabilities.
· Demonstrable success record of improving learner outcomes.
· Being trustworthy, with an attention to detail and a commitment to quality.
· The ability to evaluate external developments in education for their relevance to the school
· An understanding of financial management and the use of indicators and benchmarks to monitor progress
· Being an innovator with a willingness to embrace change.
Knowledge and Experience
The ideal candidate is a qualified and experienced international teaching professional, an IB Specialist and ideally with experience in the German education system, along with the following key areas of expertise, knowledge and experience:
· A high degree of fluency in English and ideally German
· International Schools experience with working knowledge of the IB/GCSE/MYP/Abitur
· Educated to Degree Level, minimum Masters (or equivalent)
· Qualified Teacher status with a minimum of 10 years’ teaching experience
· Proven leadership experience in a senior educational leadership role of min 5 years.
· Proven ability to develop opportunities for parental involvement
· Good understanding of educational quality management and its role in relevance for the quality of performance in international schools
· Proven understanding of effective teaching and learning theory and practice
· An excellent understanding of contemporary international educational policies and best practices
With a demonstrable ability to communicate professionally, to work collaboratively and build relationships at all levels and across different cultures and generations, the Academic Director will also be:
· Positive and enthusiastic personality
· Patient, resourceful and observant
· Someone of high personal standing and integrity
· An excellent communicator, both verbal and written
· Results driven, able to evaluate performance, provide necessary support, take difficult decisions and hold people to account.
· A team player paired with leadership skills and intellectual capacity to improve whole-school standards and student achievement/outcomes
· Someone who drives excellence through valuing and developing others
· An innovative thinker with an informed and critical awareness of the prevailing and evolving global trends in education
· Able to work under pressure, with excellent organisational and time-management skills and high attention to detail with a willingness to take on multiple tasks
· Proactive and able to prompt others to ensure deadlines are achieved
· Adaptable with a flexible mind-set and openness to new ideas
Keen to collaborate and share your specialist expertise, you will be a fitting ambassador for the school. You will communicate with confidence across diverse audiences and situations, using your expertise to build strong relationships across the GESS community.
The German European School Singapore (GESS) is a multi-lingual, not-for-profit, German international school in Singapore with a distinct European flavour. As an accredited ‘Excellent German School Abroad’, the German Section of GESS offers all major German school leaving certificates.
Our European Section offers tuition in English for students from grade 1 - 12 across all three IB programmes (the PYP, the MYP and the IB Diploma Programme) as an authorised IB World School.
Children aged 2 years onwards can enrol in our Preschool where children are following the PYP programme in German-speaking, English-speaking or bilingual groups. In addition to an outstanding academic education, GESS strives to teach students community values such as respect, openness and diversity.
We offer an exciting working environment in an international and cooperative team. Your application should include a letter of application and your complete resume. Please indicate your reasons for applying for the position.
Our Selection Process
Throughout the selection and assessment process for the role, we will be adhering to safe working measures and as such the majority of the interactions will be via video conferencing.
At GESS we adhere to fair employment practices that consist of hiring practices that are fair, merit-based and non-discriminatory.
We are committed to providing a world class, safe, happy environment in which children and young people are able to thrive and learn. We are committed to safeguarding and child protection as we promote the welfare of all our pupils irrespective of race, ability, religion, gender or culture.
All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures including satisfactory reference and background checks and the offer of employment will be subject to the completion of these. In addition, the visa entry requirements for Singapore are subject to certain requirements being met. This includes but is not limited to, mandatory diphtheria and measles vaccination requirements for children attending school in Singapore will need to be in place prior to arriving in Singapore in order for the criteria for a child Dependent Pass to be met and the visa granted. Further information on this will be shared at interview stage if applicable.
Please note, that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.