Vice President of Engineering with Tacony Corporation
St. Louis, Missouri /
Engineering – Tacony Corporation /
Vice President of Engineering
What began in Nick Tacony’s basement as a post-war start-up company 75 years ago has since grown into an internationally recognized global products company with more than 8 offices, 350+ employees, and successful sales in over 100 countries. Now operating under experienced 3rd generation family leadership, Tacony Corporation (“Tacony”) is ready to write its next chapter as a distributor, manufacturer, wholesaler, B2C and, marketer of diverse and innovative products in the sewing, home floor care, and commercial cleaning marketplace. For more information on Tacony and its range of retail and commercial product offerings, visit www.tacony.com.
With future success tied to its operational excellence, Tacony is now seeking a results-oriented Vice President of Engineering who brings strong operational expertise and prior leadership experience, coupled with strong people skills and a passion for process improvement to our growing organization. The Vice President of Engineering will be a member of our Extended Executive Team and will oversee the engineering, quality, and product development teams ensuring cross-functional collaboration and maintaining strong relationships with critical partners in the industry to support & collaborate on product procurement strategies.
As an Extended Executive Strategy Team member, the Vice President of Engineering will ensure your team thoroughly understands and prioritizes the voice of the customer and our business strategy to produce top-quality product requirements at the appropriate pace. In addition, the VP, Engineering must be effective at leading through others, demonstrating sound strategic and analytical thinking, and maintaining good stakeholder communication internally, externally, and with top-level executives. They must have a roll up your sleeves attitude and mindset balanced with a high-level strategic perspective. Most importantly, they must support and enhance a culture that is people first, family-oriented, solution-minded, believes the customer is number one, and can have a little fun in the process.
Reporting to the SVP of Operations, the ideal candidate will:
· PROVIDE COLLABORATIVE LEADERSHIP – Partner closely with Tacony’s Extended Executive Team to continue developing and implementing a robust strategic vision and operational growth strategy. Encourage and establish cross-functional collaboration and communication among departments to drive critical strategies. Lead by example with un-reproachable ethical standards, high integrity, unparalleled customer service, and great enthusiasm about our business to deliver exceptional customer experiences.
· DRIVE OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE –Execute multiple high-impact initiatives in various industries to achieve overall corporate goals. Improve speed to market by optimizing the engineering, quality, and product development teams through identified best practices and project governance as measured by quality, timeliness, value add, and safety in plant and distribution locations. Develop annual business plans and long-term roadmaps, including budgets, that maximize cost control and efficiencies with updated programs, training, shipping, and operations. Optimize MRP and ERP systems for internal production and inventory management. Develop and apply sustainable lean practices to implement process improvements for business unit operations.
· IMPLEMENT A NEW QUALITY STRATEGY – Develop and execute a new Tacony Quality System. Utilize ISO system design to develop practices. Work collaboratively with stakeholders to identify requirements and procedures to ensure quality standards are met and implement governance to drive consistency.
· LEAD A HIGH-PERFORMING TEAM – Lead, motivate, and develop high-performing engineering, quality, and product development teams. Inspire trust and credibility while creating a culture of empowerment as modeled through personal leadership. Partner with the SVP of Operations and the SVP of HR to grow and mentor existing bench strength, focusing on developmental opportunities and career pathing. Promote Tacony’s culture by conveying a high degree of emotional intelligence and fostering an atmosphere of open communication and strong personal accountability.
· ENGINEERING & QUALITY BEST PRACTICES – Effectively work with and establish best practices that manage resources, schedules, and financials that adhere to stage gate guidelines throughout the entire development lifecycle. Partner with the teams in 5 U.S.-based manufacturing and distribution centers and oversee involvement and coordinated effort with our plant in Southhampton, England, and quality office in Suzhou, China. Implement and execute corporate strategies while being accountable to KPI’s using technology, efficiencies, and inventory management goals.
· SPEARHEAD PRODUCT INNOVATION – Possess a growth mindset. Stay up to date on technology innovations. Understand and foster market-driven decisions and product development through research, history, trends, key customers, and industry sources. Advance new product development ideas and enhancements to keep existing product lines current and with automation and technology while understanding core competencies and capabilities to design and build versus source. Lead development ideas with a proven process for sourced, manufactured, and strategic partnerships for goods and services.
· GUIDE PRODUCT PROCUREMENT – Maintain and source new relationships in the industry. Meet key performance metrics focused on product procurement strategies and stay up to date on global procurement strategic initiatives, relationships, and negotiations. Partner with the VP of Global Supply to enforce the oversight of critical vendor and business relationships that are key to the success of the day-to-day business, key projects, and long-term integral partnerships.
· SERVE OUR COMMUNITY – Model a service philosophy through family-style leadership and mentorship. Identify opportunities to give back and strengthen the communities in which we work and serve.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering with substantial project management, manufacturing, product development, and quality experience or other business-related fields with a strong technical background and aptitude for process improvement
- At least 10 years of experience in management with at least 5 years of product/project management experience in business process and product development
- Strong global business acumen and experience
- Highly collaborative, team-oriented, and strong consensus builder
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint
- Strong systems and technology knowledge. Interest in identifying and using new systems.
- Ability to engage and influence stakeholders outside their direct channel
- Comfortable leading project working groups and possesses strong facilitation and data gathering skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and oral
- Strategic thinker with robust business analysis and planning skills
- Proven patient, detail-oriented, and motivated leader who is invested others’ success.
- Ability to be a team player, eager to grow a company and develop teams.
- Personal values that align with Tacony’s values of trust, accountability, finding better ways, exceptional customer experiences, results-driven, and a family-centric focus, prior family business experience a plus.
- High ethical standards, integrity, and professional image are essential to represent the company and self.
- A collaborative yet competitive, resilient attitude with a strong work ethic is desired.
- Solid planning, organizational, and project management skills with the ability to multi-task and assimilate new information quickly and make strong decisions.
- Works and adapts to multiple types of personalities; is team-oriented yet individually driven, is kind, listens, and is a powerful communicator. People-centric and customer service oriented.
- Is willing to roll up sleeves when needed while maintaining a global, strategic outlook.
- Humble, intelligent, honest, open, and transparent with an executive presence who likes to have fun.
Other Skills & Abilities include:
This position is based at the Tacony Headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri.
Ready to Apply?
If you are interested, qualified, and ready to take the next step, apply online at www.getcollaborative.com/careers. All inquiries and resume submissions will be treated as strictly confidential. Please do not contact Tacony directly.
Collaborative Strategies, Inc. is a St. Louis-based consulting firm with a dedicated search practice and has been connecting talent with opportunity since 1994. We take pride in matching talented leaders seeking mission-critical endeavors with entrepreneurial organizations. Visit us to view all of our current opportunities and be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
| Equal Opportunity Employer |