Sr. Backend Engineer (Remote- Anywhere in US)
At Fable, we believe we must work to put the omnipresent mobile screen in service of our mental well-being. Our mission is to deliver the world’s best social experience with exceptional stories.
We’re looking for a Backend Engineer with a deep technical ability to build the world’s best platform for social reading and exceptional stories.
What You’ll do
• Create the next generation social platform centered around stories
• Design, build, and maintain our internal platform and APIs
• Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability
• Work on bug fixing and improving application performance
We are looking for
• Expert-level knowledge of developing and maintaining web applications as well as API design
• Deep understanding of software engineering fundamentals
• Experience with Python, Django, and Postgres
• Familiar with web server configuration (e.g. nginx, apache2) and keen on infrastructure-as-code
• Experience with Docker for deployment and testing/CI
• Keen on quality unit tests, code coverage and readability
• Experience with devops, monitoring, and logging: using all the tools available to reduce points of failure, understand and fix issues
• Experience with one of GCP/AWS/Azure
• Passionate about user experience
• Comfortable in an early stage start-up environment and wearing many hats
• Self-motivated with a love for stories and reading
Please include in your application:
• Examples of your work
• 3 of your favorite books and tell us why you like them
Why you’ll love working at Fable
• Work on a purpose driven product
• We are a tech company with the soul of an artist.
• We are an early stage start-up and a constant work in progress. So, to borrow from Douglas Adams, “Don’t Panic”.
• Our culture is open and transparent
• We have no time for bureaucracy - We want leaders, not spectators.
• Attending meetings is not a thing at Fable, so you will need to be resourceful, hands-on and solve problems
• We listen, understand, and consider before we judge
What does all this mean to you?
• You will be working with a group of diverse, creative people distributed geographically. We support each other in our curiosity and creativity.
• We trust each other to set our own schedule and get things done.
• You can count on us to count on you, every single day.
• Flexibility - you can be based out of any location within the U.S
• Competitive pay package & benefits
Fable brings the world of stories to everyone. We deliver the world’s best social experiences with exceptional stories in service of mental wellness. Time is the new premium; and we all feel the stress of daily demands on our time. While we know that reading increases mental well-being, many consider it a burden. Fable’s experts combine design, curation and private social to make reading interactive and fun. Fable originals, discussion guides and summaries make reading easy and interesting. We select stories to suit your mood, time and interests. We help put your mobile screen in service of your mental wellness.
We are an equal opportunity employer and embrace diversity at our company. We do not discriminate by race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are a gender-balanced team committed to diversity and an inclusive environment.