Forward Deployed Software Engineer
Metronome is building a new real-time source of truth for business data, starting with powering the software industry's transition to usage-based business models.
Our platform computes millions of invoices per billing period and is scaling rapidly to accommodate new customers, saving them hours of development time and manual invoicing and enabling them to use consumption data to better serve their customers. Our customers love our product and approach, and we’re humbled to work with amazing companies like OpenAI, Cockroach Labs and mParticle.
You'll be joining an experienced team that includes founders who have successfully built and sold startups before. Our founders and employees also have direct experience building and scaling teams through massive growth at companies like Dropbox, Clever, and New Relic. On the back of this experience and our success-to-date, we’ve raised over $35m from leading investors including Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, and Elad Gil. We’re also proud to have founders and executives of companies like Segment, Plaid, Looker, Gitlab, Confluent, HashiCorp, Snowflake, and Databricks as investors who have experienced the pain we're solving firsthand.
About the Role
The Forward Deployed Engineer (FDE) team at Metronome are product engineers who collaborate with our internal Solutions Architect team to ensure pre-sales and post-sales success for companies using Metronome.
You will have the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in acquiring new customers and expanding the growth of existing customers by removing any technical obstacles or product gaps. This team will act as a liaison between customers and Metronome's broader platform and application teams, helping to translate customer requirements into long-term roadmap deliverables.
- 3+ years work experience using Typescript, GraphQL, or Node
- Comfortable working in a rapidly changing environment and ability to quickly iterate based on customer feedback
- Interest in working directly with customers
- Ability to explain technical problems or concepts in a clear and concise way to non-technical users
- Fluent in English
Examples of Tasks You Might Work On
- Rapidly shipping v0 or minimum scoped solutions for gaps identified during the evaluation process, ensuring there is forward progress in the sales motion. In rare cases, this could mean rapidly shipping code to unblock the sales process followed by a v0 implementation.
- Implement growth blocking features by collaborating with our existing customer base by working closely with our Customer Success/Growth team
- Provide feedback on sales and growth blocking features to the broader R&D team and give input into our roadmap planning
- Ensure there is an iterative path for the next versions of the solution by working with other engineering teams post-sales
- Create new APIs so customers can integrate Metronome into their downstream workflows
Impact You'll Have
- Drive direction on internal roadmap working with our Go-to-Market teams for our customers
- Ensure success of both our engineering teams in iterations of the v0 that you have built
- The features you build will unblock our Sales, Solutions, and Growth teams to deliver value for our potential customers
- Contribute to frontend and backend systems that drive our billing engine
- The Metronome team is more well-rounded because you bring your unique personality to work and help create an inclusive fun environment focused on helping our customers get the most value out of Metronome.
We don't filter based on current expertise, so at Metronome you will learn
- AWS (S3, RDS, API Gateway, ECS, Fargate, Lambda, MKS, and more!)
- Infrastructure as Code (Terraform, Serverless Framework)
- Languages (Python, Typescript, Java - for working with Kafka)
- Frontend Tools and Frameworks (React, Apollo GraphQL, Webpack, React Testing Library)
- CI/CD (AWS CodePipeline & CodeDeploy, CircleCI)
Compensation & Benefits
- Excellent medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage, including a One Medical membership
- FSA (Flexible spending account)
- Flexible time off
- Employee assistance program (mental health benefits)
- Culture where personal growth is highly valued
Metronome offers salaries that are highly competitive with other early stage Bay Area startups and significant equity compensation (we want you to feel like an owner). More importantly, we’re committed to equitable compensation practices across the board. If you’d like to learn more about our philosophy or about why we’re all billing nerds, shoot us a message. We’d love to talk!
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.