Software Engineer, Data
Metronome is building a new real-time source of truth for business data, starting with powering the software industry's transition to usage-based business models.
Our platform computes millions of invoices per billing period and is scaling rapidly to accommodate new customers, saving them hours of development time and manual invoicing and enabling them to use consumption data to better serve their customers. Our customers love our product and approach, and we’re humbled to work with amazing companies like OpenAI, Cockroach Labs and mParticle.
You'll be joining an experienced team that includes founders who have successfully built and sold startups before. Our founders and employees also have direct experience building and scaling teams through massive growth at companies like Dropbox, Clever, and New Relic. On the back of this experience and our success-to-date, we’ve raised over $35m from leading investors including Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, and Elad Gil. We’re also proud to have founders and executives of companies like Segment, Plaid, Looker, Gitlab, Confluent, HashiCorp, Snowflake, and Databricks as investors who have experienced the pain we're solving firsthand.
About the Role
Metronome is building a high-volume data collection and processing system to support usage-based billing functionality. We ingest tens of billions of events per month that represent our customers' product usage data (also known as metering data) to then calculate revenue on a monthly basis. A key part of our product strategy is to make Metronome a connected system that streams out data to our users' ecosystem, including data warehouses, business systems, and BI tools.
In this role, you will be responsible for maturing and scaling our architecture and laying the foundations for new product offerings based on machine learning and data exploration capabilities. You will manage our Spark and Kafka-based data infrastructure which powers several of our critical product functionalities.
This role offers high visibility and impact, as you will enable our users to solve billing challenges using critical product usage and revenue data.
- 6+ years of industry experience in a technical role
- 2+ years experience in a backend software engineering role
- 2+ years experience building data pipelines in Spark or Flink
- You write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers and stakeholders
- Excitement to dive deep into our business domain and work with product, design, and our customers to deliver the best solutions possible
Examples of Tasks You Might Work On
- Build batch and streaming pipelines capable of processing millions of events per second and generating billions of downstream records within a single job
- Design how Metronome’s complex domain model and billing logic can be implemented on top of our data platform
- Own the usage of Spark across all of Metronome. Champion existing and net new use cases that can be successfully run on top of Spark as a platform
- Shape the direction of Metronome’s data platform as the second specialize data engineering hire at the company
- Influence the overall architecture of Metronome. Drive the technical direction around usage of batch, streaming and real time compute primitives. Define how key technologies like Spark, Flink and Druid fit into our company-level strategy.
Impact You'll Have
- All of the above work is critical to the core of Metronome
- The Metronome team is more well-rounded because you bring your unique personality to work and help create an inclusive fun environment focused on helping our customers get the most value out of Metronome.
We don't filter based on current expertise, so at Metronome you will learn
- AWS (S3, RDS, API Gateway, ECS, Fargate, Lambda, MKS, and more!)
- Infrastructure as Code (Terraform, Serverless Framework)
- Languages (Python, Typescript, Java - for working with Kafka)
- CI/CD (AWS CodePipeline & CodeDeploy, CircleCI)
Compensation & Benefits
- Excellent medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage, including a One Medical membership
- FSA (Flexible spending account)
- Flexible time off
- Employee assistance program (mental health benefits)
- Culture where personal growth is highly valued
Metronome offers salaries that are highly competitive with other early stage Bay Area startups and significant equity compensation (we want you to feel like an owner). More importantly, we’re committed to equitable compensation practices across the board. If you’d like to learn more about our philosophy or about why we’re all billing nerds, shoot us a message. We’d love to talk!
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.