Head of Consumer Platforms
St. John's, NL /
Mysa – Product /
We know what you’re thinking, “ughhh … how interesting could thermostats be?” Believe us when we say that we are convinced that thermostats are a critical tool in the fight against climate change. Here’s why:
- Heating and cooling accounts for as much as 60% of a home’s energy usage 🤯
- Adding something as simple as a schedule can reduce energy consumption by up to 26% 😏
- BUT … even when a homeowner has a programmable thermostat, 70% of them don’t have a schedule 😖
Try programming one without a manual 🤓 and you’ll start from scratch after a power outage 😤Imagine the savings possible with Mysa’s lineup of smart thermostats for baseboard and infloor heat and now for air conditioners and mini splits! 🦸♀️ As you’re reading this, 10s of thousands of users are depending on our App to control 100’s of thousands of Mysa thermostats. With an average rating of more than 4.5 stars we know that our products and platform are on the right track -- we also know we have lots more work to do.
We are looking for a Head of Consumer Platforms to join our team in St. John’s, NL. Could it be you?
What You Will Do:
- Take responsibility for Mysa’s consumer application portfolio including being responsible for continuous development of Mysa’s core consumer app functionality. Additionally, the successful candidate would be responsible for expansion of the consumer platform driving increased value for customers and overall market differentiation.
- Collaborate with the VP of Product to develop Mysa’s product strategy and specifically a consumer platform strategy, establishing annual, quarterly and day to day processes to support successful platform strategy execution.
- Lead the consumer platform team in advancing initiatives to support the implementation of the overall consumer platform strategy and supporting of the consumer product portfolio, including new and existing hardware products.
- Help evangelize Product Strategy throughout the company with an objective to ensure alignment across teams and also to identify opportunities for refinement and improvement.
- Leverage other teams, including: growth/marketing, customer support, and engineering, to help ensure successful delivery of product initiatives.
- Grow the team as needed: Determine the highest impact roles and team structure. Define the vision, coaching/inspiration your team needs to deliver at their best.
- Drive team focus and rigorous prioritization of initiative being advanced. Set, monitor and share performance metrics within the team and across the company.
Who You Are:
- You are intensely curious and never satisfied with the first answer. You love to dig into problems, consider a variety of solutions and test concepts to hone in on the right path. You seek input, but don’t let any “one” opinion direct your thinking. You can do all that, and still be seen as decisive in your decisions.
- You understand that everything can’t be important. You know how to accept feedback from across the organization, find alignment with customer insights and trends, create and prioritize appropriate initiatives and communicate plans that will drive the biggest organizational impact.
- The details matter to you. Spelling, colour, layout, design are all things you notice. You understand how to evaluate, provide feedback, and ensure quality is continuously improving.
- You get that process needs to exist to achieve scale, not just to organize. You test processes continuously, ensuring they are maximizing results while minimizing overhead, you build internal drivers and ensure that the outputs are tracked and visible.
- Demonstrates strong leadership and mentoring capabilities and a track record for inspiring colleagues to learn and expand their skill sets, guiding them in the right direction.
- You love staying on top of the latest trends in consumer electronics especially IOT devices, constantly adding to your understanding of the market and challenging your assumptions about the status quo.
- You don’t shy away from being in the trenches with your team and aiding in the execution of the plans you’ve developed. Results matter most to you.
- 5+ years of experience in a strategic product, engineering, or technical role for a high growth organization.
- Solid understanding of product development practices and engineering development frameworks, including product research, product portfolio management, and agile and scrum development.
- Excellent organizational, time management and cross functional communication skills.
- Experience and passion for driving decisions and product R&D investments systematically leveraging customer driven quantitative and qualitative feedback, analytical and data-driven broad market research and instinct/gut.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts
- Obsessed with learning, testing and staying on top of industry and consumer trends.
- Bias towards action. You are constantly iterating to find out what does and doesn’t work
- Consumer hardware start-up experience, particularly in D2C.
- Solid understanding of consumer product trends, particularly Home HVAC systems, IOT devices and Smart Home.
Nice to have:
Since entering the market in 2018, Mysa Smart Thermostats have been warmly welcomed into customers’ homes, earning thousands of 5-star reviews.
Our mission is to fight climate change! As the premier Canadian-designed smart thermostats for heating and cooling, Mysa creates thoughtful, innovative technology to help our family of customers across North America stay comfortable and save money by using home energy more efficiently. To help us build a greener, more sustainable future, we’re creating an ecosystem of energy-saving smart thermostats and fostering a unique, people-first company culture that brings out the very best in our team.
What’s in it for you?
- A rewarding career path that helps you learn, grow, and showcase your talent
- An environment in which you are recognized and appreciated for what you do
- Unlimited paid vacation (Yep. Unlimited. Paid. Vacation (within reason, of course!)
- Flexible environment (work from home, a coffee shop, or a blanket fort - wherever you’re most comfortable)
- Flexible hours (no set ‘office hours’— you work 40 hours per week and meet your role requirements)
- Training and Development Allowance Program
- Health and Wellness Allowance Program
- Competitive salary structure
- Annual salary increases
- Employee Stock Option Purchase Plan
- Comprehensive Group Health, Dental and Vision Benefit Plan
- Employer-matched RRSPs
- Maternity & Parental Leave Top-Up Program
Feeling intrigued? Enticed? Here are some extra perks:
- Modern, open, fun office environment (we work hard, but we’re not scared of a good time)
- Dynamic downtown location with free parking
- Fun, quarterly team-building events
- New pair of high-quality noise reducing headphones
- Innovative workflow software and technology (we’re major Slackers — internal communications have never been more awesome)
Simply put, we know that people are the heart of our business and we appreciate your unique qualities and diverse experiences. If this opportunity sounds amazing and you feel that you’re a great fit for most of the listed criteria, you should apply — we value individual abilities over a profile on paper.
Mysa is an equal opportunity employer focused on promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We value diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us all different. Your application to this posting is deemed to be consent to the collection, use, and necessary disclosure of personal information to facilitate our recruitment process. We respect the confidentiality and privacy of all of our applicants.
Thanks for thinking about making Mysa your work home. We look forward to getting to know you.