Senior Backend Engineer
Point is looking for a founding senior backend engineer. We are building a modern and aspirational banking experience by bringing rewards and benefits to the everyday debit card.
Learn more about Point's team and culture here.
Why this role?
- Build a mobile banking app that you would actually use. Seriously, we're challenging the status quo and building a premium debit card to align incentives with our members. Step aside Amex.
- Work alongside a lean and highly-talented team. One of our co-founders designed the interface of the first iPhone and we launched and scaled to millions of dollars in transactional volume with a team of 2.5 engineers — ask us about it.
- Our team is super collaborative and transparent. You have impact across the entire company from new product features, internal tools, or jamming on a marketing idea — no shortage of things to work on.
- We're well-funded and supported by top investors — we're backed by the same investors behind companies like Airbnb, Stripe, Notion, and many others.
What does a backend engineer at Point do?
- You will work to ensure integrations with key vendors are stable and reliable — our card issuer, card printer, identity verification vendors, Plaid, etc.
- You will build the backend logic that powers new features. Potential examples: instant bank transfers, custom rewards — features that will enable Point to attract and retain more members.
- You will build scalable infrastructure that can handle very large amounts of data with low latency.
This role would be a good fit if you...
- Have been working as a backend engineer for 3+ years with at least 2 of them using Node.js, AWS, PostgresQL, and GraphQL. Usually language experience doesn't really matter to us but we're moving quickly and would like for you to have experience with our current stack.
- Worked at a really small start up that went from 0 → 1 and understand how to scale backend systems.
- Are thoughtful with balancing moving quickly and cautiously by testing software before shipping — given the sensitive nature of our product we need to ensure Point is reliable and secure at all times.
- Have spent time working in a senior engineer role but are still excited about being a core contributor to the codebase.
- Actually care about building a consumer product that has thoughtful and intuitive design across the stack — from mobile app UI to the database architecture.
- Competitive salary and stock options based on experience
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, and vision insurance).
- 20-day vacation policy. Can roll over up to 10 days per year. And we shut down the office in between Christmas and New Year's. Flexible WFH and sick day allowance.
- Education Credits: $25/mo. Keep learning — books, courses, training, etc.
- Wellness Credits: $50/mo. Take care of yourself — gym, fitness classes, meditation, etc.
- Commute Credits: $100/mo. Don't stress rush hour — public transit, bike, lyft, etc.
If this sounds up your alley, then drop us a note.