Assignment Editor News, APAC (13360)
Editorial – Editorial Content /
For 25 years, Getty Images has embraced disruption and change; riding the digital wave to evolve from a fragmented, analog stock photo business into a multi-billion-dollar, global e-commerce industry leader and trusted brand. The breadth and quality of our content has always allowed our customers and partners to tell their stories with greater creativity and accuracy, eliciting more emotion and enabling more action. Getty Images moves the world, whether the goal is commercial or philanthropic, revenue-generating or society-changing, market-disrupting or headline-driving.
Help us move the world with images!
Getty Images is the most trusted and esteemed source of visual content in the world, with over 405 million assets available through its industry-leading sites www.gettyimages.com and www.istock.com. The Getty Images website serves creative, business and media customers in almost 200 countries and is the first-place people turn to discover, purchase and share powerful content from the world's best photographers and videographers.
Getty Images works with over 330,000 contributors and image partners to provide comprehensive coverage of more than 160,000 news, sport and entertainment events, impactful creative imagery to communicate any commercial concept and the world's deepest digital archive of historic photography. Getty Images is a world leader in visual content. With over 405 million assets, of which over 285million are digitized, encompassing the latest global news, sports, celebrity, music and fashion coverage; exclusive conceptual creative images; and the world’s largest commercial archive. New content is added daily, with 8-10 million new assets added each quarter.
We are inclusive of different voices, perspectives and experience. We believe diversity is critical to our mission to objectively reflect the world we live in and allow our customers to illustrate that world. This means including a diverse range of voices in our content, actively pursuing diversity in our team and sources of content and listening to our customers to make sure we are as open and responsive as possible.
Women, gender-nonbinary, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
About the position
This role may be based in Sydney, Tokyo, Singapore or Hong Kong with other APAC-based locations considered on application.
We are looking for an assignment editor for Getty Images News based in APAC, you will determine our photographic coverage across Asia working with our roster of staff, freelance, and contributing photographers in the region.
Who You Are:
You have a 'nose for news' and you are curious about the world around you. You are a self-starter with experience in visual journalism and working a fast-paced newsroom environment. You are highly collaborative and a skilled communicator capable of cultivating relationships cross-cultures and time zones. You are excited by the prospect of working in a global team, cross functionally, and thrive in a fast paced highly dynamic environment.
- Provide editorial direction in line with the strategy delivered by Director of Photography, APAC
- Coordinate and assign breaking-news coverage across Asia
- Conceive and develop news features in collaboration with our staff and freelance photographers
- Identify new talent to sign to our roster of freelance photographers
- Coordinate the logistics of live-event coverage with photo staff and our global picture desk editors
- Ensure accuracy of editorial content: headlines, captions, metadata.
- Monitor content from editorial partner agencies for quality, accuracy and relevance
- Identify unique contributor content for distribution through Getty Images
- Edit photographer submissions, contest entries, curated sets for merchandizing and marketing, and more
- Be available for non-standard work hours, including weekends, early shifts and late shifts.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in visual journalism, previous experience in Asia preferred
- Significant full-time experience in the news picture industry, with a major daily newspaper, news magazine, wire service or other photo agency
- Experience commissioning editorial photo assignments is preferred
- A passion for photojournalism, and a strong sense of newsworthiness, professional ethics and editorial integrity
- Broad awareness of current affairs, conflicts, political issues and business news within Asia
- Familiarity with major editorial publications in UK and Europe, their interests and editorial sensibilities
- A general awareness of established and up-and-coming photojournalists working across the APAC region, as well as what notable photographic coverage is being produced in this region by our customers and other agencies
- Fluency with Photoshop and its applications within a journalistic context
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Due to the current conditions and impact of Covid-19, this key position will work from home. As we do not have a timeline to when conditions improve, we are prepared to offer flexibility work from home until Getty Images returns to our office locations.
Getty Images is committed to providing Reasonable Accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please email RecruitingAccommodations@gettyimages.com.
Visit Getty Images at www.gettyimages.com to learn more about how the company is advancing the unique role of still and moving imagery in communication and business, and enabling creative ideas to come to life.
For company news and announcements, visit our Press Room, and for the stories and inspiration behind our content, visit Stories & Trends.
Find Getty Images on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Tumblr, or download the Getty Images app where you can explore, save and share the world's best imagery.
Getty Images is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. Getty Images believes that diversity is critical to our success in moving the world with images and is committed to creating an inclusive, mutually respectful environment which celebrates diversity. We seek to hire on the basis of merit, competence, performance, and business needs.