Senior Software Engineer (Remote - Work from Home)
Toronto, Canada /
Technology – Application Development /
For 25 years, Getty Images has embraced disruption and change; riding the digital wave to evolve from a fragmented, analog stock photo business into a multi-billion-dollar, global e-commerce industry leader and trusted brand. The breadth and quality of our content has always allowed our customers and partners to tell their stories with greater creativity and accuracy, eliciting more emotion and enabling more action. Getty Images moves the world, whether the goal is commercial or philanthropic, revenue-generating or society-changing, market-disrupting or headline-driving.
Help us move the world with images!
Getty Images is the most trusted and esteemed source of visual content in the world, with over 405 million assets available through its industry-leading sites www.gettyimages.com and www.istock.com. The Getty Images website serves creative, business and media customers in almost 200 countries and is the first-place people turn to discover, purchase and share powerful content from the world's best photographers and videographers.
Getty Images works with over 330,000 contributors and image partners to provide comprehensive coverage of more than 160,000 news, sport and entertainment events, impactful creative imagery to communicate any commercial concept and the world's deepest digital archive of historic photography. Getty Images is a world leader in visual content. With over 405 million assets, of which over 285million are digitized, encompassing the latest global news, sports, celebrity, music and fashion coverage; exclusive conceptual creative images; and the world’s largest commercial archive. New content is added daily, with 8-10 million new assets added each quarter.
We are inclusive of different voices, perspectives and experience. We believe diversity is critical to our mission to objectively reflect the world we live in and allow our customers to illustrate that world. This means including a diverse range of voices in our content, actively pursuing diversity in our team and sources of content and listening to our customers to make sure we are as open and responsive as possible.
Women, gender-nonbinary, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This position is a remote - work from home position.
Getty Images is looking for a Software Engineer who wants to join one of the best engineering teams in the business as part of our ingestion platform team. As an engineer at Getty Images, you will write and maintain the software responsible for delivering images and video from the biggest events in the world to our customers as fast as possible. You will play a key role in moving the world with images from the Olympics, World Cup, Fashion Week, and major news events from around the world.
We are a lean company, data-driven and committed to delivering real customer value. We are interested in finding someone who is smart, dedicated, a quick learner and raises the bar for our team. This role is focused on Ruby on Rails, ReactJS, Electron, ElasticSearch, AWS and variety of related technologies. If you aren't an expert in these technologies already we'll help you get up to speed quickly.
This position is responsible for designing and developing software applications. Testing and debugging new and existing software as well as performance tuning and optimization of existing code. Operates with considerable latitude and recommends major changes and may supervise activities of others on the team.
- Independently develops feature designs for multiple, complex features
- Participates in code development by actively writing code and conducting unit testing
- Develops estimates and schedules on a project or team wide basis
- Works with development team and operations support to troubleshoot development environment, production environment, performance tune and optimize code
- Provides technical leadership for a project or feature team through design and code reviews as well as active mentoring of more junior developers
- Provide project status
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in this field
- Significant experience developing software in a commercial software development environment
- Proven ability to design and develop large scale, complex applications
- Experience with container platforms, such as Docker
- Experience with infrastructure provision automation tools, such as Terraform
- Experience with container orchestration tools, such as Kubernetes
- Knowledge and work experience with public cloud resources such as AWS
- Prior experience with MVC frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, .NET MVC, or Django
- Prior experience with NodeJS
- Experience with Agile software methodologies and continuous deployment
- Experience with Electron
- Experience with NoSQL Databases like Elasticsearch, MongoDB, Dynamo
- Experience designing and implementing interfaces using ReactJS/Typescript or AngularJS
- Experience building high-traffic, scalable and high performance systems
Education and Certifications:
- B.S. Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent quantitative field
Mental and Physical Demands:
- Frequent communication with others to exchange information.
- Frequent sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing; Time of each will vary.
- Constant operation of computer and frequent usage of other office machinery, including (but not limited to) calculator, copy machine, computer printer, etc.
- Constant assessment of accuracy and thoroughness of the work assignment.
- Trustworthiness, Transparency, and Openness
- Raise the Bar
- Lead by Example
- One Voice
- Bring Me Solutions
- No Silos
- The Obligation to Care
Due to the current conditions and impact of Covid-19, this position a remote work from home position. As we do not have a timeline to when conditions will improve, we are prepared to offer flexibility to support our employees remote working needs.
Getty Images is committed to providing Reasonable Accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please email RecruitingAccommodations@gettyimages.com.
Visit Getty Images at www.gettyimages.com to learn more about how the company is advancing the unique role of still and moving imagery in communication and business, and enabling creative ideas to come to life.
For company news and announcements, visit our Press Room, and for the stories and inspiration behind our content, visit Stories & Trends.
Find Getty Images on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Tumblr, or download the Getty Images app where you can explore, save and share the world's best imagery.
Getty Images is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. Getty Images believes that diversity is critical to our success in moving the world with images and is committed to creating an inclusive, mutually respectful environment which celebrates diversity. We seek to hire on the basis of merit, competence, performance, and business needs.