Senior Software Engineer (14478) - Calgary (Remote)
Toronto, Canada /
Technology – Application Development /
Several false job solicitations are circulating via email and social media purporting to be official Getty Images communications. While our staff may initially contact you via social media if your experience is relevant to a posted role, we will never issue job offers or request personal financial information via social media. Further, all outreach will include the Getty Images’ employee email and phone contact. As a reminder, all career opportunities can be found here.
Covid-19 Company Statement:
Getty Images does not require employees to be vaccinated against Covid-19, but vaccination or testing may be mandated by the relevant local laws with which Getty Images will comply. If this position involves contact with third parties, attendance on site for events, travel and/or work in our offices, those actions will be subject to any to relevant local laws, venue or customer requirements, or travel requirements regarding vaccines or testing (and exemptions thereto).
Getty Images does not require employees to be vaccinated against Covid-19, but vaccination or testing has been mandated by the Biden administration and that mandate applies to our US workforce. If this position involves contact with third parties, attendance on site for events, travel and/or work in our offices, those actions will be subject to any to relevant local laws, venue or customer requirements, or travel requirements regarding vaccines or testing (and exemptions thereto).
Who We Are:
For over 25 years, Getty Images has embraced disruption and change; riding the digital wave to evolve from a fragmented, analog stock photo business into a multi-billion dollar, global e-commerce industry leader and trusted brand. The breadth and quality of our content has always allowed our customers and partners to tell their stories with greater creativity and accuracy, eliciting more emotion and enabling more action.
Help us move the world with images!
Getty Images is the most trusted and esteemed source of visual content in the world available through its industry-leading sites www.gettyimages.com and www.istock.com. The Getty Images website serves creative, business and media customers in almost 200 countries and is the first-place people turn to discover, purchase and share powerful content from the world's best photographers and videographers.
Getty Images works with over 360,000 contributors and image partners to provide comprehensive coverage of more than 160,000 news, sport and entertainment events, impactful creative imagery to communicate any commercial concept and the world's deepest digital archive of historic photography. With over 440 million assets, of which over 320 million are digitized, encompassing the latest global news, sports, celebrity, music and fashion coverage; exclusive conceptual creative images; and the world’s largest commercial archive. New content is added daily, with 8-10 million new assets added each quarter.
Getty Images offers the most exclusive and unique creative and editorial visual content globally. The breadth and quality of our content allows our customers and partners to tell their stories with greater creativity and accuracy, thereby eliciting more emotion and enabling more action. Getty Images moves the world —whether the goal is commercial or philanthropic, revenue-generating or society-changing, market-disrupting or headline-driving. Getty Images offers the highest quality and most diverse visual content, based on industry-leading expertise and innovation.
Senior Software Engineer - Canada
Location: Calgary, Canada
Due to the current conditions of COVID-19, this key position will initially work from home, until such a time when we return to our office.
Who You Are:
- You have extensive experience with .NET and web services.
- You are enthusiastic about the pragmatic application of agile engineering practices, and you are passionate about engineering durable software that withstands the test of time!
- You like to collaborate with a team of other skilled engineers to tackle complicated problems, and you can combine your strong base of existing skills with new technologies.
- You can lead as well as follow; you speak with confidence and listen with humility!
- You display self-discipline and infrastructure to work collaboratively.
- You have the curiosity and determination to research that which is unknown or unstructured and can pragmatically translate those findings into usable code.
- You have some experience with cloud-based paradigms and would like to acquire more.
Your Next Challenge:
- Work from a remote location on a distributed team responsible for the Royalties Platform used by all of Getty Images’ brands.
- Use .NET and SQL Server technologies to shore up existing royalties processes
- Update existing systems and participate in design and implementation of a new service-based distributed royalties system, using a blend of .NET and AWS technologies.
- Analyze existing SQL-based systems to infer rules and manage migrations. Agile paradigms (including CI, pairing, swarming, and test-first) will be followed throughout.
- Partner with team members and examine existing systems to determine business requirements
- Develop simple Web UIs in .NET for internal administrative systems
- Implement code that is engineered for the long term.
- Exercise ownership of all code developed by the team, working with teammates and other teams to resolve issues
- Work with team and leaders to develop stories and provide status
What You'll Need:
- 5+ years demonstrated ability with C#
- 2+ years working with web services
- 2+ years of experience with Git
- Skilled in SQL Server development with T-SQL
- Some experience working in an environment that is cloud-based (such as AWS or Azure) or at least container-centric (such as Docker or Kubernetes)
- Experience in implementing or maintaining sophisticated distributed systems
- Experience with agile engineering approaches (e.g. test-first, SOLID, etc.) and processes (e.g. Scrum or Kanban, pairing, etc.)
- Ability to analyze and understand sophisticated data structures and data flows
Nice to Have:
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience in domain-driven design (DDD)
- Experience with messaging services such as RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ, or Kafka
- Experience with PostgreSQL and/or NoSQL databases like MongoDB or DynamoDB
Mental and Physical Demands:
- Frequent communication with others to exchange information.
- Frequent sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing; Time of each will vary.
- Constant operation of computer and frequent usage of other office machinery, including (but not limited to) calculator, copy machine, computer printer, etc.
- Frequent repetition of motions and gestures that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers. (Required)
Due to the current conditions and impact of Covid-19, this key position will initially work from home, until such a time we open our offices. At the time of the local office opening, employees and managers will partner to determine the work site location in line with our Flexible working policy.
Benefits at Getty Images
Extended Health Insurance
Time off Work/life balance is important to us
We provide flexible time off and 10 sick days each calendar year. Additionally, we pay 4 weeks of fully-paid Parental Leave for new parents, with primary caregivers eligible for an additional 8 weeks of fully-paid leave.
Company Paid Holidays
Employees enjoy company-paid holidays for each of our global locations.
Disability and Life Insurance
We automatically enroll and pay for Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D) up to 2 times your annual salary. We also provide you with fully paid Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability Insurance.
Employee Assistance Program
Employees have access to free, confidential assistance for everyday problems such as stress management, financial coaching, marital or family issues, substance abuse, occupational problems, and referrals for legal, childcare, and eldercare services. Employees can seek additional discounts on other wellness activities such as travel, gym memberships, and sports! Through our EAP services, employees are also eligible for 3 free counseling visits and life coaching sessions.
Learning & Growth
We value continuous learning and development to help everyone develop their skills. Enjoy mentorship, curated training & more.
As a company, we're committed to living these Principles every day. Here's how we support our mission to be the best place to work globally.
We are trustworthy, transparent, and honest
We love character, authenticity, and integrity.
We always raise the bar
Excellence is our norm; we get better through endeavor, curiosity, and speed.
We collectively bring solutions
We love debate, but collaborating to solve problems for ourselves and our customers is everyone’s responsibility.
We care, are kind, courteous, and respectful
We will not tolerate rudeness.
We reject biased behaviour and discrimination
We seek to understand biases in all forms. We call out biases and discrimination when observed and take action where responsible.
We are inclusive of different voices, perspectives, and experience
Diversity and inclusion are never done, but we are passionate in their pursuit.
We are one Getty Images with no silos
We share goals and accountability; we and actively seek information and expertise; we make time for our peers.
We deliver on our commitments, and commercial goals
With one voice and shared accountability.
We put the customer at the heart of everything we do
We listen to, anticipate, and exceed customer needs, adapting as they evolve.
We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Women, gender-nonbinary, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Getty Images is committed to providing Reasonable Accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please email RecruitingAccommodations@gettyimages.com.
Visit Getty Images at www.gettyimages.com to learn more about how the company is advancing the unique role of still and moving imagery in communication and business, and enabling creative ideas to come to life.
For company news and announcements, visit our Press Room, and for the stories and inspiration behind our content, visit Stories & Trends.
Find Getty Images on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Tumblr, or download the Getty Images app where you can explore, save and share the world's best imagery.
Getty Images is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. Getty Images believes that diversity is critical to our success in moving the world with images and is committed to creating an inclusive, mutually respectful environment which celebrates diversity. We seek to hire on the basis of merit, competence, performance, and business needs.