Principal Software Engineer, Image Search (11352)
Remote - United States /
Technology – Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Engineering /
Help us move the world with images!
Getty is embarking on its next wave of innovation in visual storytelling and how to put the perfect image or video in our customer’s hands, be it for a society-changing headline or a brand’s next big campaign—truly moving the world with images.
Getty Images is the most trusted and esteemed source of visual content in the world, with over 200 million assets available through its industry-leading sites www.gettyimages.com and www.istock.com. The Getty Images website serves creative, business and media customers in almost 200 countries and is the first place people turn to discover, purchase and share powerful content from the world's best photographers and videographers.
Getty Images works with over 200,000 contributors and hundreds of image partners to provide comprehensive coverage of more than 130,000 news, sport and entertainment events, impactful creative imagery to communicate any commercial concept and the world's deepest digital archive of historic photography.
Getty Images is the starting point for our customers imagery search. Customers are confident that they are going directly to the best source of content, and that Getty's search engine will surface only the most relevant content to them and have the tools they need to refine and explore creatively.
Our customers will be able to communicate effortlessly with Getty Images, in their quest to find the right imagery. Using text, voice, or visual channels, they will have the ability to describe their content needs creatively and thoroughly. Getty Images' search will eliminate the barrier that exists between a creative art director and a technical researcher.
Getty Images has access to hundreds of millions of images; your job is to help customers identify and discover only the highest quality and most relevant content for their brand, campaign, or side-project. In the growing industry of on-site search, we leverage visual intelligence, world class sorting and recommendation algorithms and natural language processing to capture and manifest the style and concepts of our customer's search needs.
This role requires extreme familiarity with the industry of Search and will allow you to lead with your passion and knowledge of search. We move the world with our imagery, and we want your help to drive this progress forward with relevance algorithms, image search, and natural language processing. This role will work very closely with product management, content, data science, and senior technology leaders to deliver cutting edge, impactful changes with speed and urgency, and will inspire those around them to raise the bar and deliver impact.
- Work with the other Principal Engineer to lead the search engineering team to deliver innovative and customer-impacting products
- Identify and remove obstacles in the way from achieving the fastest path to value
- Live and reinforce a Learn/Fail Fast culture
- Be a great partner to multiple cross-functional groups, with a singular focus on providing the best experience for our customers.
- Help establish and maintain a culture of quality and ownership for the search infrastructure.
- quickly deliver significant customer and business impact with search and AI/ML technologies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expert knowledge and experience working with large-scale search technologies, such as Solr and ElasticSearch
- Experience as a technical team leader
- Significant programming experience in a structured software development environment
- Significant experience designing, developing, and supporting large, enterprise class solutions
- Experience deploying cloud-hosted applications
- Ability to quickly and accurately estimate cost and effort needed to deliver a feature.
Education and Certifications:
- B.S./B.A. in Computer Science or equivalent quantitative field
- Master’s Degree preferred
Due to the current conditions and impact of Covid-19, this position will work from home until and may require business travel in the future. As we do not have a timeline to when conditions will improve, we are prepared to offer flexibility to support our employees remote working needs.
Visit Getty Images at www.gettyimages.com to learn more about how the company is advancing the unique role of still and moving imagery in communication and business, and enabling creative ideas to come to life. For company news and announcements, visit our Press Room, and for the stories and inspiration behind our content, visit Stories & Trends. Find Getty Images on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Tumblr, or download the Getty Images app where you can explore, save and share the world's best imagery.
Getty Images is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. Getty Images believes that diversity is critical to our success in moving the world with images and is committed to creating an inclusive, mutually respectful environment which celebrates diversity. We seek to hire on the basis of merit, competence, performance, and business needs.