Director, Corporate Counsel - German Fluent/Qualified
Legal – Corporate Counsel /
Who We Are:
For over 25 years, Getty Images has embraced disruption and change; riding the digital wave to evolve from a fragmented, analog stock photo business into a multi-billion dollar, global e-commerce industry leader and trusted brand. The breadth and quality of our content has always allowed our customers and partners to tell their stories with greater creativity and accuracy, eliciting more emotion and enabling more action.
Help us move the world with images!
Getty Images is the most trusted and esteemed source of visual content in the world available through its industry-leading sites www.gettyimages.com and www.istock.com. The Getty Images website serves creative, business and media customers in almost 200 countries and is the first-place people turn to discover, purchase and share powerful content from the world's best photographers and videographers.
Getty Images works with over 360,000 contributors and image partners to provide comprehensive coverage of more than 160,000 news, sport and entertainment events, impactful creative imagery to communicate any commercial concept and the world's deepest digital archive of historic photography. With over 435 million assets, of which over 310 million are digitized, encompassing the latest global news, sports, celebrity, music and fashion coverage; exclusive conceptual creative images; and the world’s largest commercial archive. New content is added daily, with 8-10 million new assets added each quarter.
Getty Images offers the most exclusive and unique creative and editorial visual content globally. The breadth and quality of our content allows our customers and partners to tell their stories with greater creativity and accuracy, thereby eliciting more emotion and enabling more action. Getty Images moves the world —whether the goal is commercial or philanthropic, revenue-generating or society-changing, market-disrupting or headline-driving. Getty Images offers the highest quality and most diverse visual content, based on industry-leading expertise and innovation.
Who You Are:
You are motivated, experienced, collaborative and confident working independently. You have an interest in creative works and the online ecosystem. You would like to work within a dedicated in-house legal team in the media industry, with responsibility for leading multiple tasks simultaneously in a quick-moving environment. You enjoy the challenge of bringing solutions to the table, always with a positive demeanour.
Your Next Challenge:
- Provide legal support to various business functions at Getty Images, with emphasis on the Sales, Business Development and Marketing functions across Europe, having primary responsibility for German-language territories, all with regard to the B2B licensing of imagery and other digital content.
- Contribute to Getty Images’ compliance with data privacy and GDPR matters, assuming primary responsibility for related matters in Europe, in co-operation with Getty Images’ cross-functional privacy and data security teams.
- Support the German HR team, including matters involving the works council in Germany, and coordinate outside counsel for HR matters in German language regions.
- Support the company’s lobbying and advocacy efforts regarding regulatory and legal reform relevant to our industry, including by liaising with industry trade associations with Germany.
- Simplify the legal process for internal and external customers.
- Prepare and handle legal documentation (contracts, legal correspondence, etc.) and other materials related to job duties.
- Partnering with internal customers to negotiate and implement a range of commercial agreements.
- Provide appropriate legal guidance where needed as well as troubleshooting operational roadblocks.
- Train internal customers and present to external customers on legal issues affecting Getty Images’ business.
- Exercise independent responsibility for partnering with the various other business teams across Getty Images, including Finance, Tax, Contributors & Partners, Data Security and Sales Operations.
- Take a coordinated approach with the global in-house Legal team, including the handling of claims matters, in particular where German language is involved.
- Keep yourself updated on, and share internally, legal updates relevant to Getty Images’ business, with particular focus on copyright and other intellectual property laws, with aim of identifying risks/ opportunities for the business.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with internal and external partners.
- Communicate (in writing and verbally) with internal and external parties, including the management of external counsel.
- Occasional travel to other Getty Images’ offices may be required.
- Be based in London or remotely, to provide day-to-day support during CET time zone, with availability to also join virtual meetings on a periodic basis with colleagues in the US.
What You'll Need:
- Fully qualified German lawyer (2. Staatsexamen).
- Fully fluent and proficient working in the English language.
- Minimum 5+ years post qualification experience with general commercial legal matters.
- Experience at a large law firm and/or as in-house counsel, with licensing, intellectual property and data protection. Experience with HR support (ideally including Works Council matters) strongly preferred.
- Prior knowledge and experience negotiating and drafting contracts and agreements independently, with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to interact at all levels, internally and externally.
- Critical analysis skills related to identifying and solving problems in a busy corporate environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, with a heightened awareness and appreciation of contributing to a respectful and inclusive working culture.
- Strong organisational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work efficiently and flexibly in an evolving environment.
- Self-starting and solutions-oriented team player.
- Maintains composure during tight deadlines.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Completes work with professionalism and with integrity.
Due to the current conditions of Covid-19, this key position will work from home until further notice.
We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Women, gender-nonbinary, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Getty Images is committed to providing Reasonable Accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please email RecruitingAccommodations@gettyimages.com.
Visit Getty Images at www.gettyimages.com to learn more about how the company is advancing the unique role of still and moving imagery in communication and business, and enabling creative ideas to come to life.
For company news and announcements, visit our Press Room, and for the stories and inspiration behind our content, visit Stories & Trends.
Find Getty Images on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Tumblr, or download the Getty Images app where you can explore, save and share the world's best imagery.
Getty Images is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. Getty Images believes that diversity is critical to our success in moving the world with images and is committed to creating an inclusive, mutually respectful environment which celebrates diversity. We seek to hire on the basis of merit, competence, performance, and business needs.