Operations Intern (Summer 2017)
New York, NY
Global Health Corps
Global Health Corps (GHC) mobilizes a global community of emerging leaders to build the movement for health equity. GHC believes young leaders with diverse backgrounds and a deep commitment to collaboration, innovation, and social justice are going to revolutionize how the world tackles its toughest health challenges. We strongly believe our GHC community is the new breed of leaders that the world desperately needs.
Through a competitive recruitment process, we identify daring and innovative university graduates and early- to mid-career professionals from around the world and pair them with amazing partner organizations and government agencies in the US, East Africa, and Southern Africa. Our fellows spend a year in their placement devoting their unstoppable energy to making the world a healthier place for all people, everywhere. Whether they are working with a small grassroots organization like HIPS in Washington, DC to ensure sex workers have access to critical health services, or with the Ministry of Health in Zambia researching patient use of HIV testing and counseling, each fellow plays an essential role in the health equity movement.
Fellows come together five times a year for additional training, community building, leadership development, and mentorship to become audacious, resilient, and highly-networked changemakers. Each one of our fellows has the capacity to change the world – and many already are – and we are grateful to work closely with them to amplify their impact. Since its founding in 2009, GHC has supported nearly 600 fellows working at various levels of the health system, across issue areas and across continents, and our community gets stronger every year.
The Central Operations Team at GHC consists of the: Vice President of Operations; Admissions and Operations Manager; Finance and Operations Manager; Senior Operations Coordinator; Finance Associate; and, Operations Associate. This dynamic team oversees our fellowship Admissions process, the health and safety of our fellows, and GHC’s organizational finances.
We seek a highly detail-oriented, creative problem solver who will work closely with members of the Central Operations Team to assist with a range of projects involved in supporting GHC's fellowship program, ensuring that GHC fellows from around the world have the opportunity to develop as leaders and impact the health of communities in which they serve. We are a team of people who work really hard and have an amazing time doing it.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment and will be excited to support and strengthen global operations. Someone who is eager to contribute to the health equity movement and will take pride in working hard to accomplish tasks - both big and small - will earn a great deal of experience while having a significant impact on the work that we do. Most importantly, s/he will have the opportunity to own projects while receiving firsthand experience with the day-to-day management of an entrepreneurial non-profit.
- Manage our customer service email account, including communications with potential applicants
- Analyze data from the past year’s Admissions process to identify opportunities to improve our efficiency and effectiveness in selecting strong fellows, as well as to improve the experience for our 5300+ applicants and 300+ reviewers
- Support the research and implementation of new technologies and tools that will improve the process
- Assist the Finance team in fiscal year end expenditure tracking
- Maintain the physical files for the Finance department
- Provide needed assistance for the relocation of the office
- Support on booking fellow travel to the End of Year Retreat
- Participate in other projects and tasks as needed
General Administrative Support
- An undergraduate degree or in pursuit of an undergraduate degree
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Exceptional critical thinking skills with a knack for sustaining and/or improving systems
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- A track record of taking initiative and going above and beyond expectations
- Flexibility and enthusiasm for taking on a variety of projects as they arise
- Passion for non-profit management, social justice, and global health
- A demonstrated strong work ethic
Thanks for applying!