Vice President of People & Operations
New York, NY /
People & Operations /
Position: Vice President of People & Operations
Location: New York, NY
About Global Health Corps
Global Health Corps (GHC) is building a new generation of global health leadership. We believe that solving the world’s most pressing global health challenges requires better and more connected leaders who are able to work across traditional boundaries like geography, sector, and issue area to engineer stronger global health systems. We need more than clinicians and providers; we need management consultants, engineers, artists, and architects. We need new leadership voices and new perspectives, especially those representing the populations most often left out and unheard.
GHC competitively recruits and selects emerging leaders from around the world who represent a wide range of skillsets and areas of expertise, all of which are critical to rebuilding and strengthening health systems. GHC is developing a cadre of health equity leaders through a unique leadership development program that utilizes experiential and formal learning methods.
Through a one-year fellowship program, fellows address a wide-range of health issues with high-impact grassroots organizations, NGOs, and ministries of health in Rwanda, Malawi, Uganda, Zambia, and the United States. Fellowship positions are demand-driven, ensuring that our fellows fill real-time health systems gaps and serve to amplify the great work already in progress. Placement organizations benefit from the skills and energy of fellows, as well as the support of GHC. We are building a network of young changemakers who share the common belief that health is a human right.
Global Health Corps (GHC) seeks a strategic, nimble, systems thinker and executor to join us as our Vice President of People & Operations (VPPO). Our VPPO will oversee and manage our finance, compliance, human resources, fellowship admissions operations, technology, and office administration functions. They will ensure our organization’s resources are effectively managed and strategically deployed as we pursue our mission and strategic priorities.
Our ideal candidate has the skills and mindsets necessary to thrive as a senior leader in a fast-paced, mission-driven, start-up environment. They are collaborative, client-driven, and solutions-oriented. They are able to both strategize and execute individually and through layers to reach ambitious goals and outcomes. They have the ability and energy to drive effective operations by working with staff from a range of teams and cultures spread across several countries and time zones. They have the experience and appetite required to center GHC in best-in-class people and Human Resources practices. They are ready and able to manage a committed team of 6 while also working cross-functionally with ~30 full-time staff in New York and across the globe.
Our Vice President of Operations will sit on our senior leadership team and report directly to our CEO.
Organizational Leadership & Stewardship
● Serve as a strategic and tactical right-hand to the CEO on human resources, operations, and finance matters
● Partner with the senior leadership team to define and execute the organization’s overarching priorities
● Collaborate with the Vice President of Programs to lead the annual organizational planning process
● Develop - and position the organization to operate in alignment with - strategies, budget, and headcount planning for the remaining years of our 2019-2022 strategic plan
Staff Resources & Operations
● Ensure GHC staff operate in a fiscally responsible, budget-aligned, and financially compliant fashion
● Position staff to consistently operate in a fashion that minimizes legal and operational risk and maximizes compliance
● Supervise the Admissions and Operations Manager + Senior Associate of Admissions as they design and manage our fellow recruitment, selection, and placement processes
● Implement and manage the Health Safety, and Security (HSS) program for our staff and our fellows
● Oversee the work our People team takes on to support and steward staff through all phases of the employee life cycle
● Equip the organization with the systems, technology, and infrastructure necessary to operate in an efficient, effective, secure fashion
● Maintain a dotted line relationship with operational staff in GHC’s focus countries to ensure they are set up for operational excellence at all times
Team Management & Development
● Manage and develop a team of 6 staff working across the finance, people, admissions operations, compliance, technology, and office administration functions
● At least 12 years of work experience that blends operations, finance, and human resources is required
● Significant experience stewarding an organization to adopt best-in-class people/human resources practices
● Adept at developing a budget, managing financial oversight, and leading a team through a budgeting process
● Capable of positioning Global Health Corps to have the technology and administration necessary to operate efficiently and effectively
● Experience scaling systems and solutions for a growth-stage organization
● Skilled at coaching, developing, and managing early-career and more seasoned professionals
● Successful in building & leveraging relationships across lines of differences and a range of cultures
● Drawn to both strategize and execute; moreover, able to do so quickly and in a fast-paced, start-up environment
● Passionate about global health equity and committed to social justice
● Committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment
● Invested in consistently operating as a steward of Global Health Corps’ mission and values
● Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or comparable master’s degree highly preferred
● Experience living or working in sub-Saharan Africa highly preferred
● Willing and able to travel internationally at least 3-4 times each year
● Willing and able to occasionally work on weekends or evenings
Our Philosophy and Benefits
Global Health Corps is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or other characteristics or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
We embrace and value diverse skillsets and backgrounds. We are a community of leaders who are proud to represent many different national, racial, ethnic, socio-economic, religious, gender, and other identities. We represent varied professional backgrounds, collaborating across fields and sectors to form a powerful, close-knit network of changemakers. Our diversity as a community is our strength, driving our ability to be empathetic, visionary, and effective leaders in the health equity movement, and engage with the world with dignity and respect.
GHC works to ensure our culture, infrastructure, and benefits allow staff to embody our values of shared integrity, inclusive collaboration, sustainable resilience, and continuous learning. GHC offers a competitive benefits plan, such as health insurance, 401(k), paid time off, paid parental leave, flexible work schedule, and professional and career development.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
*This job description reflects Global Health Corps’ assignments of essential functions and qualifications for this role. Nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign, reassign, or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.