Special Projects and Events Intern - NY
New York, NY
Global Health Corps
Global Health Corps (GHC) mobilizes a global community of emerging leaders to build the movement for health equity. GHC believes young leaders with diverse backgrounds and a deep commitment to collaboration, innovation, and social justice are going to revolutionize how the world tackles its toughest health challenges. We strongly believe our GHC community is the new breed of leaders that the world desperately needs.
Through a competitive recruitment process, we identify daring and innovative university graduates and early- to mid-career professionals from around the world and pair them with amazing partner organizations and government agencies in East Africa and Southern Africa. Our fellows spend a year in their placement devoting their unstoppable energy to making the world a healthier place for all people, everywhere - each fellow plays an essential role in the health equity movement.
Fellows come together three times a year for additional training, community building, leadership development, and mentorship to become audacious, resilient, and highly-networked changemakers. Each one of our fellows has the capacity to change the world – and many already are – and we are grateful to work closely with them to amplify their impact. Since its founding in 2009, GHC has supported nearly 1000 fellows working at various levels of the health system, across issue areas and across continents, and our community gets stronger every year.
For more information, visit our website or find us on Facebook and Twitter.
Global Health Corps seeks an intern to join us to support the work of our programs and development team. We are looking for a strong event planner with an excellent orientation to detail, an ability to take initiative, and a passion for health equity.
You’ll be our trusted right-hand person to support our team in managing a variety of events, our partner selection process, and working closely with our country teams. We are looking for someone who has grit and humility – you’re willing to pitch in, take the initiative to do so, and are eager to learn and experience. You are a team player and want to support the health equity movement.
You will work closely with both the Program Manager and the Strategic Partnerships Manager. The intern will carry significant responsibilities throughout his/her time as a member of our GHC team.
Responsibilities** Please note: Actual responsibilities and percentages may change based on the team’s needs
- Assist in event planning activities (e.g. identifying venues, creating invitations, and executing and tracking logistics)
- Plan and prepare for the Midyear Retreat for the 2019-2020 fellowship class
- Support the planning of quarterly Board Meetings (e.g. preparing materials, tracking attendees)
- Manage logistics for external events (e.g. booking flights, creating travel briefs)
- Support partner organization selections process through activity tracking, data management, and country team support
- Conduct research on various capacity building systems, tools, and resources
- Collect fellow materials and keep track of fellow requirements
- Administrative duties including calendar management, email monitoring, etc.
- Provide support to Country Teams, as needed
- Additional projects as needed
- Be enrolled in college or have a college degree
- Have exceptional attention to detail while maintaining the ability to think at a higher systems level
- Be a critical and solutions-oriented thinker
- Be very well-organized
- Demonstrate strong written and interpersonal communication
- Have demonstrated a strong work ethic and commitment to growth and development
- Have demonstrated strong interest in social justice and/or public health issues
- Be able to prioritize and remain focused in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Have demonstrated proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
Compensation: Stipend of $2,253
October 2019 – March 2020 (may accept an earlier end date for the right candidate - please indicate your availability in your cover letter)