Admissions & Operations Manager
New York, NY
Global Health Corps
Global Health Corps (GHC) mobilizes a global community of emerging leaders to build the movement for health equity. GHC believes young leaders with diverse backgrounds and a deep commitment to collaboration, innovation, and social justice are going to revolutionize how the world tackles its toughest health challenges. We strongly believe our GHC community is the new breed of leaders that the world desperately needs.
Through a competitive recruitment process, we identify daring and innovative university graduates and early- to mid-career professionals from around the world and pair them with amazing partner organizations and government agencies in the US, East Africa, and Southern Africa. Our fellows spend a year in their placement devoting their unstoppable energy to making the world a healthier place for all people, everywhere. Whether they are working with a small grassroots organization like HIPS in Washington, DC to ensure sex workers have access to critical health services, or with the Ministry of Health in Zambia researching patient use of HIV testing and counseling, each fellow plays an essential role in the health equity movement.
Fellows come together five times a year for additional training, community building, leadership development, and mentorship to become audacious, resilient, and highly-networked changemakers. Each one of our fellows has the capacity to change the world – and many already are – and we are grateful to work closely with them to amplify their impact. Since its founding in 2009, GHC has supported nearly 1000 fellows working at various levels of the health system, across issue areas and across continents, and our community gets stronger every year.
The Admissions and Operations Manager is a dynamic, detail-oriented project manager who leads our new fellow selection process. S/he recruits, trains, and coordinates 300+ volunteers to select ~140 fellows from ~4000 applicants every year, and s/he manages communications with GHC’s applicants, placement organizations, vendors, and team members. The Admissions and Operations Manager is zealous about optimizing organizational processes in service of the three fellow selection goals: fill each fellowship role 1) with a fellow who will be effective in both the placement organization and the GHC community, 2) through a fair and consistent review process, 3) on time for fellow onboarding. S/he is someone who is able to manage a team to scale new systems as GHC grows, someone for whom systematic hypothesis testing and workplan crafting are exciting, someone who relishes the challenge of harnessing new technologies.
The Admissions and Operations Manager thrives in a global, collaborative, and fast-paced environment where we are passionate about what we do, care deeply for our greater mission, and work hard to achieve results. S/he brings a solution-oriented and client service mindset, demonstrating excellent planning skills and a value for collaboration across a range of teams, cultures, and time zones.
- Managing the Fellow Selection process, including:
- Managing and supporting the Admissions & Operations Coordinator in:
- Working across departments to provide technical support or influence process improvements:
- Supporting a range of other program and operational tasks as needed throughout the year, including special projects as assigned by the Director of Operations.
o Setting and monitoring goals for the Selection process and outcomes
o Updating Selection materials – reviewer trainings, review criteria, application forms and email communications, as well as the Selection manual and how-to guides - as needed (at minimum annually)
o Implementing changes to the Selection process guided by GHC’s Strategic Plan and Selection participant feedback
o Recruiting, training, and managing 300+ volunteers (GHC fellows, alumni, staff, and interns) to review applications and conduct interviews
o Liaising with fellow placement organizations to conduct the final round of review and keeping them apprised of offer acceptances/declines
o Managing applicant communications, from Selection-related website content to status updates and offers to GHC’s customer service email account
o Creating and managing the Selection budget (~$35k across five countries) in coordination with Country Managers
o Hiring and managing interns and any other needed consultants or staff support and/or supporting the Admissions & Operations Coordinator to do so
o Providing input and partnership in Selection planning and execution
o Acting as administrator of the online application system, including vendor management and system testing
o Managing elements of fellow onboarding, including visa/work permit guidance, fellow travel, and the fellow communications email account
o Supporting new Fellow Onboarding, including procurement of J-1 visas and ITINs for international fellows in the U.S.
o Supporting Fellow Recruitment to target each fellowship role with a strong talent pool of qualified applicants
o Supporting Partner Selection to craft clear and compelling role descriptions for fellows
- At least 3, ideally 5+ years of project management experience required, with proven track record of hitting ambitious goals
- Ability to design workplans for complex projects, ideally months in advance
- At least one year of experience managing at least one full-time staff member required
- Ability to inspire and mobilize others through spoken/written communications, ideally with experience managing volunteers and/or delivering presentations or trainings
- Track record of initiating and implementing process improvements, ideally with experience in quality improvement, change management, and/or human centered design methodology
- Commitment to equity and inclusion required, including experience working across areas of difference, e.g. cultural backgrounds, functional area, race/ethnicity, and/or geographic location
- Experience working with a relational database preferred
- Proficiency in analyzing and interpreting data preferred, especially survey results, with experience using Excel functions like vlookups and pivot tables and/or Google sheets query and import range formulas
- Experience writing and managing a project budget preferred
GHC EMBRACES AND VALUES DIVERSE SKILLSETS AND BACKGROUNDS
We are a community of leaders who are proud to represent many different national, racial, ethnic, socio-economic, religious, gender, and other identities. We represent varied professional backgrounds, collaborating across fields and sectors to form a powerful, close-knit network of changemakers. Our diversity as a community is our strength, driving our ability to be empathetic, visionary, and effective leaders in the health equity movement, and engage with the world with dignity and respect.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thanks for applying!