People Team Intern - Summer 2019
New York, NY
Position: People Team Intern
Location: New York, NY
Schedule: Full Time
Timeline: May – August 2019*
*Interns must be available to attend a two-week Training Institute to be held at Yale University, New Haven, CT from June 30 – July 14, 2019
The People Team Intern will directly assist the People Team with a wide range of projects related to HR compliance, recruiting, onboarding/orientation, employee benefits, and other areas. This internship is designed to be both educational and practical. In this position, the intern will learn how to take skills she or he may have acquired in school related to his or her particular areas of interest, and apply them in a professional setting. He or she will gain a better understanding of the role that Human Resources can play in a non-profit setting, and be better prepared to work in the arena of human resources and the nonprofit sector. The candidate will also have opportunities to network with the programs, operations, communications, and development staff.
Global Health Corps:
GHC recruits and selects organizations that excel in improving healthcare access and health outcomes for people in impoverished communities and marginalized populations. Additionally, our placement organizations identify an area of need that would benefit from two or more energetic and innovative young leaders; have the capacity to supervise and support two or more new full-time staff and can contribute towards the cost of fellows.
Since our start in 2009, we have grown from 8 placement organizations to more than sixty for the 2019-2020 fellowship year. They range from small grassroots organizations to international NGOs like Partners in Health and CHAI to government agencies like the Ministry of Health in Uganda. The health issues they focus on are equally diverse and include maternal and reproductive health, malaria, HIV/AIDS, health systems strengthening and nutrition. To date, we have received extremely positive feedback from our placement organizations who have found great value in having GHC fellows working on their programs. Specifically, 95% of our partners from the 2017-18 fellowship year said fellows met or exceeded goals of their work assignments and 78% said our fellows presented new or innovative ways of doing things.
The partnership recruitment and selection process is an intense and complex process that requires an ability to work with Country Teams to identify and vet organizations who can provide a meaningful experience for fellows and have the infrastructure and approach to health equity that aligns with GHC’s mission. It is an annual process which includes evaluating partnership renewals as well as new placement organizations. GHC plans to expand placement organizations in all of our current countries as well as explore additional opportunities for growth within Africa and to other continents.
The intern will work closely with the People Team to learn:
- Recruiting & hiring process, including job posting, resume review, interviews, compensation negotiations, and job offers.
- Employment and tax law compliance, especially regarding development and maintenance of employee files, confidentiality, payroll management, and onboarding/ termination.
- Employer culture, including the review and revision of internal guidelines, policies, and practices, as well as the communication of those guidelines, policies, and practices.
- Event planning and management for staff-focused events (e.g., staff week, birthday celebrations, professional development)
- Current or recent enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program with a focus or interest to work in Human Resources or non-profit management/administration
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and internet applications
- Able to prioritize tasks and handle numerous assignments simultaneously
- Flexibility and enthusiasm for taking on a variety of projects as they arise
- Editing and proofreading experience
- Interest in non-profit management, social justice, and/or global health
How to Apply
Please apply online through our website. Due to the high volume of applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for applying!
– The GHC Team