Vice President of Development
New York, NY
About Global Health Corps
The extreme disparity in access to healthcare and health outcomes across our globe is unjust and unsustainable. Changing this status quo requires a new generation of leaders with diverse skills and backgrounds. These leaders need opportunities to build their skillsets and networks in pursuit of transformative change in healthcare.
Global Health Corps (GHC) recruits and mobilizes a global community of emerging leaders to build the movement for health equity. Passionate young leaders enter the GHC community by participating in a year-long, paid fellowship with an organization in sub-Saharan Africa. During the fellowship, they work on a wide range of areas that improve healthcare access and health outcomes for the poor. Fellows have built financial management systems for grassroots HIV organizations in Uganda, supported district pharmacies in Rwanda in rolling out new supply chain management tools, and conducted research on adolescent sexual and reproductive health services in Zambia. They also engage in intensive training, professional development, mentorship, and thoughtful community building. Each of our fellows has the capacity to change the world – and many already are. We are grateful to work closely with them to amplify their impact.
Since its founding in 2009, Global Health Corps has supported more than 1000 fellows working on health issues and health equity across the globe. Adaptive and innovative, GHC leaders are ready and able to solve tomorrow’s health problems, today.
For more information, visit our website or find us on Facebook and Twitter.
Global Health Corps’ seeks a Vice President of Development to oversee our development efforts and ensure our donor portfolio is managed with excellence. Our ideal hire will be mission-driven, strategic, nimble, and passionate about using those skills to help Global Health Corps realize its vision. They will excel at crafting donor strategy and swiftly turning their ideas in to actions. They will be a strong relationship manager who is passionate about building and leveraging a diverse array of connections within and outside our organization to reach our ambitious development goals. They will be adept at managing vertically and horizontally to reach outcomes and invested in operating as an organizational steward.
Our Vice President of Development will sit on our senior leadership team, manage a team of three, and report directly to our CEO.
• Create and execute the development strategies that ensure GHC meets its fundraising goals
• Work closely with our communications, programs, and finance teams to highlight GHC’s work & impact
• Partner with the CEO to manage and engage GHC’s development portfolio of corporate, foundation, and individual donors
• Oversee the research and cultivation of prospective donors
• Ensure our Board of Directors is strategically folded into development efforts and consistently abreast of our main development strategies, key activities, and progress to development goals
• Supervise grant management by partnering with the finance team to develop financial reports, highlight renewal timing, and meet grant submission requirements
• Oversee the generation of compelling, effective, brand-aligned development reports, proposals, and additional supporting collateral
• Liaise with our Director of Finance to ensure accurate generation and tracking of cash flow projections
• Ensure GHC maintains accurate and comprehensive donor and development information in Salesforce
Team Management & Development
• Manage, coach, and develop a team of three Development Team members
Organizational Leadership and Stewardship
• Prepare and deliver development updates to our senior leadership team and board of directors
• Engage in broader strategic planning and organizational initiatives as a senior leadership team member
● At least 12 years of development and fundraising experience, ideally including some experience in an organization with international presence and reach
● Consistent record of success setting and meeting ambitious development and fundraising goals
● Experience planning and implementing fundraising strategies that secure support from individuals, corporate partners, and foundations
● Significant experience building generative relationships with high-profile and/or high-net worth individuals or institutions
● Adept at engaging and leveraging senior leaders and a board of directors in development initiatives
● Interested and skilled in project management, data management, and systems development
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Drawn to both strategize and execute; moreover, able to do so successfully in a fast-paced, start-up environment
● Consistently delivers high-quality work products by deadline
● Skilled at coaching, developing, and managing early-career and more seasoned professionals
● Adept at building & leveraging relationships across lines of differences and a range of cultures
● Passionate about global health equity and committed to social justice
● Committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment
● Invested in consistently operating as a steward of Global Health Corps’ mission and values
● Willing and able to travel internationally at least 3-4 times each year
● Willing and able to occasionally work on weekends or evenings
Bachelor’s degree required
Our Philosophy and Benefits
Global Health Corps is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or other characteristics or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
We embrace and value diverse skillsets and backgrounds. We are a community of leaders who are proud to represent many different national, racial, ethnic, socio-economic, religious, gender, and other identities. We represent varied professional backgrounds, collaborating across fields and sectors to form a powerful, close-knit network of changemakers. Our diversity as a community is our strength, driving our ability to be empathetic, visionary, and effective leaders in the health equity movement, and engage with the world with dignity and respect.
GHC works to ensure our culture, infrastructure, and benefits allow staff to embody our values of shared integrity, inclusive collaboration, sustainable resilience, and continuous learning. GHC offers a competitive benefits plan, such as health insurance, 401(k), paid time off, paid parental leave, flexible work schedule, and professional and career development.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
*This job description reflects Global Health Corps’ assignments of essential functions and qualifications for this role. Nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign, reassign, or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.