Communications and Advocacy Intern - Summer 2019
New York, NY
Time Commitment: Full-time
Time Period: May – August 2019 (exact dates flexible)
Location: New York
Compensation: Monthly Stipend
Global Health Corps seeks an intern to join our dynamic and creative communications team, or “wolf pack.” We are looking for strong communicators with an excellent orientation to detail, a healthy amount of hustle, and a passion both for health equity and the power of communication. The communications team is small but mighty. We work at light speed, create and execute cool content ideas on the reg, fire on all cylinders, and provide really timely and courteous support to everyone who needs us. Our job as a team is to oversee organization-wide communications (external affairs, media, social media, website, branding and graphics) as well as communications support for our entire leadership community (fellows, alumni, staff). We also run new fellow recruitment! As our intern, you’ll be our trusted right-hand person! We involve you in a lot, so you get really cool exposure to everything from advocacy trainings to Twitter chats and graphic design. We rely on you as a key team member, and support and invest in your growth and learning.
We are looking for someone with really impressive communications chops: you are a strong writer; you are a social media native; you can synthesize a five-page report into ten bullet points; you can write great emails to other teams and partners; you have a good design eye and some graphic design skills. We are also looking for someone who has grit and humility – you’re willing to pitch in, take the initiative to do so, and are eager to learn and experience. You are a team player through and through -- you want to make our lives easier, and to support the health equity movement.
You will work closely with the Advocacy & Communications Coordinator and the Recruitment and Engagement Coordinator based in New York on a number of time sensitive communications, events-related, and public facing tasks. The intern will carry significant responsibilities throughout his/her time as a member of our team.
Global Health Corps:
Global Health Corps (GHC) mobilizes a global community of emerging leaders to build the movement for health equity. GHC believes young leaders with diverse backgrounds and a deep commitment to collaboration, innovation, and social justice are going to revolutionize how the world tackles its toughest health challenges. We strongly believe our GHC community is the new breed of leaders that the world desperately needs.
Through a competitive recruitment process, we identify daring and innovative university graduates and early- to mid-career professionals from around the world and pair them with amazing partner organizations and government agencies in the U.S., East Africa (Rwanda and Uganda), and Southern Africa (Malawi and Zambia). Our fellows spend a year in their placement devoting their unstoppable energy to making the world a healthier place for all people, everywhere. Whether they are working with a small grassroots organization like HIPS in Washington, D.C. to ensure sex workers have access to critical health services, or with the Ministry of Health in Zambia researching patient use of HIV testing and counseling, each fellow plays an essential role in the health equity movement.
Fellows come together five times a year for additional training, community building, leadership development, and mentorship to become audacious, resilient, and highly-networked changemakers. Each one of our fellows has the capacity to change the world – and many already are – and we are grateful to work closely with them to amplify their impact. Since its founding in 2009, GHC has supported nearly 600 fellows working at various levels of the health system, across issue areas and across continents, and our community gets stronger every year.
Projects and responsibilities may include:
- Monitor, draft content for, and track analytics for GHC’s social media channels
- Support the design of graphics for social media & external materials
- Support photography and videography needs for our annual Training Institute
- Support regular updates of the GHC website
- Support the editorial management of AMPLIFY, GHC’s publication on Medium
- Undertake regular media scans and internet searches as they relate to GHC’s model, program, and fellow and alumni work
- Manage several team databases, tracking the reach and effect of external communications and media campaigns
- Assist with communications team knowledge management including photos, video, and documents
- Assist with special projects and provide coordination support to the team as needed
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor
- Be currently enrolled in a university or hold a university degree
- Be a strong writer; proven ability to write for different audiences and in different styles is a plus
- Have the ability to summarize complex or long information into digestible, compelling communication
- Have demonstrated graphic design skills and familiarity using Adobe Creative Suite
- Have some experience with photography and videography
- Be proactive and flexible, able to anticipate needs and pivot as needed
- Have familiarity with Dropbox, Google Apps and Microsoft Office Suite, including PowerPoint and Excel
- Have demonstrated familiarity with all social media platforms GHC currently uses
- Have excellent attention to detail; be very well-organized
- Be able to work at a very fast pace while maintaining attention to detail, completing complex tasks in a short time frame
- Be scrappy and resourceful in completing tasks, ability to be self-directed as needed
- Be able to remain focused in a fast paced environment (we have an open office!)
- Be passionate about social justice and health equity issues and genuinely excited about the movement that GHC is building
How to Apply
Please apply online through our website. Due to the high volume of applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for applying!
– The GHC Team