Communications & Development Intern (Fall 2020)
New York, NY /
Location: New York, NY or Remote
Position Type: Full Time
Timeline: October 2020 – January 2020
Compensation: Monthly Stipend
Global Health Corps
Global Health Corps (GHC) mobilizes a global community of emerging leaders to build the movement for health equity. GHC believes young leaders with diverse backgrounds and a deep commitment to collaboration, innovation, and social justice are going to revolutionize how the world tackles its toughest health challenges. We strongly believe our GHC community is the new breed of leaders that the world desperately needs.
Through a competitive recruitment process, we identify daring and innovative university graduates and early- to mid-career professionals from around the world and pair them with amazing partner organizations and government agencies in the US, East Africa, and Southern Africa. Our fellows spend a year in their placement devoting their unstoppable energy to making the world a healthier place for all people, everywhere. Whether they are working with a small grassroots organization like HIPS in Washington, DC to ensure sex workers have access to critical health services, or with the Ministry of Health in Zambia researching patient use of HIV testing and counseling, each fellow plays an essential role in the health equity movement.
Fellows come together five times a year for additional training, community building, leadership development, and mentorship to become audacious, resilient, and highly-networked changemakers. Each one of our fellows has the capacity to change the world – and many already are – and we are grateful to work closely with them to amplify their impact. Since its founding in 2009, GHC has supported over 1000 fellows working at various levels of the health system, across issue areas and across continents, and our community gets stronger every year.
Global Health Corps seeks an intern to join us to support the work of our critical communications and development teams. We are looking for strong communicators with an excellent orientation to detail, an ability to take initiative, and a passion both for health equity and the power of communication.
The Communications team oversees organization-wide communications (external affairs, media, social media, website, branding and graphics) as well as communications support for our entire leadership community (fellows, alumni, staff). The Development Team manages all of our fundraising efforts from prospecting donors and planning fundraising events, to organizing Board meetings, and writing grants.
As our intern, you’ll be our trusted right-hand person to support on all of these and more! We are looking for someone who has grit and humility – you’re willing to pitch in, take the initiative to do so, and are eager to learn and experience. You are a team player and want to support the health equity movement.
You will work closely with both the Director of Communications and the Strategic Partnerships Manager. The intern will carry significant responsibilities throughout his/her time as a member of our GHC team.
Projects and Responsibilities Include:
Content generation and management
- Draft and monitor content for GHC’s social media channels
- Support the creation and design of internal and external digital materials
- Conduct regular updates in the backend of the GHC website
- Design graphics for social media & external materials
- Write and edit a variety of communications, grant, and donor materials
- Support the editorial management of AMPLIFY, GHC’s publication on Medium
- Assist with team knowledge management including photos, video, and documents
Analytics and systems support
- Track analytics for GHC’s social media channels
- Research donors and information for development materials and donor meetings
- Strengthen internal processes for knowledge management systems, including Salesforce and Asana
- Manage logistics and support in creating materials for Board Meetings
- Be currently enrolled in a university or hold a university degree
- Have strong time management skills with an ability to work on multiple projects concurrently; be able to work at a very fast pace while maintaining attention to detail, completing complex tasks quickly
- Be very detail-oriented and able to quickly organize and track information
- Be a strong writer; have experience summarizing complex or long information into digestible, compelling bullets; proven ability to write for different audiences and in different styles is a plus
- Have demonstrated familiarity with social media platforms and basic design skills and with WordPress and be able to make updates through the backend of GHC’s website
- Have familiarity with Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Apps
- Have experience gathering information and data on topics or individuals, such as drafting briefs, reports, or donor analyses, preferred
- Exceptional critical thinking skills with a knack for sustaining and/or improving systems
- Be scrappy and resourceful in completing tasks, ability to be self-directed as needed
- Be passionate about social justice and health equity issues and genuinely excited about the movement that GHC is building
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume. Due to the high volume of applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for applying!