Senior Scientist, NGS
Boston, MA /
Foundry: NGS /
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
Core to our organism engineering pipeline is the testing and analysis of our engineered strains. We leverage 2nd and 3rd generation sequencing as well as other ‘omics to get a detailed picture of the performance of our strains. To help facilitate this, we’re looking for a dedicated Senior Scientist to join our NGS Team. Critical to this role is a strong background in diverse applications of NGS, as well as expertise in molecular biology across a range of input materials and species. We'll look to you to help design experimental plans, make process improvements, and guide the future development of our NGS capabilities.
- Design and perform NGS wet lab experiments, using a wide range of bacterial, fungal, plant, and mammalian cells across multiple NGS platforms
- Develop innovative sequencing and molecular biology assays
- Miniaturize and automate high-throughput laboratory processes
- Develop and implement DNA and RNA extraction methods for a variety of challenging starting materials
- Develop, validate, and onboard new technologies for NGS and sample preparation
- Collaborate with computational team members on experimental design and analysis to optimize new analytic approaches using NGS technologies
- Liaise with program teams to ensure NGS and data analysis are optimally incorporated in the project plans at an early stage, to avoid duplication of effort
- Effectively communicate scientific results to technical and non-technical audiences
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- PhD with at least 5 years of experience (or MS with at least 8 years of experience) in a relevant field of biological sciences
- Managerial experience within a relevant field (i.e., molecular web lab operators)
- Clinical laboratory experience a plus
- Familiarity with Jupyter notebooks
- Familiarity with high-throughput automation
- Experience with at least some of the following techniques and platforms: RNAseq, RT-qPCR, ChIPseq, 10X genomics, Illumina NGS, Oxford Nanopore, PacBio
- Expertise with a variety of sequencing applications, such as transcriptomics, resequencing, de novo genome assembly, metagenomics, epigenetics, etc.
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Flexibility and willingness to learn in a rapidly changing, growing organization
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
This food tech startup just raised $90 million to make it easier to invent new plant-based meats (Fast Company)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.