Bayer and Ginkgo Joint Venture
Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks are joining forces, forming a new company that will build technology to enable microbes to improve key properties of agricultural crops. The company will have laboratories in both Boston, MA, and West Sacramento, CA, where we will leverage the existing organism engineering and plant biologics capabilities of the parent companies. Primary corporate operations will be carried out at Ginkgo Bioworks' headquarters in the Boston Seaport.
We are looking for a Bioinformatics Analyst and/or Computational Biologist to work closely with the scientific teams in a collaborative environment. The ideal candidate will analyze and interpret plant and microbial -omics data to help us understand plant physiology and microbial fitness, to ultimately engineer high performing strains. We especially need your expertise in converting complex primary data into actionable metrics to inform upon iterative rounds of strain engineering for Ag biologicals. Individuals having a track record of innovation that are interested in inventing and applying new microbiome technologies, tools, and strategies to improve and deploy microbes from the lab to the field are encouraged to apply.
We want to hire you because you care about developing new biological products for agriculture that are sustainable and deliver meaningful value to growers and consumers. You love to work in an interdisciplinary environment where it takes a team of talented and driven scientists with very different skill sets to build microbes that lead to dramatic improvements in plant performance and environmental health. You have experienced more failure than you care to admit in your scientific career; you are resolved to leverage access to Ginkgo’s foundries to make engineering biology more predictable and fail less often, while also taking steps to ensure that our microbes succeed outside of a controlled laboratory environment. We need your enthusiasm for efficiency and understanding biology to help us meet our mission to engineer microbes for agriculture, and getting these sustainable solutions into the hands of growers.
- Analyze and interpret data from a multitude of outputs originating from high throughput NGS and -omics pipelines
- Leverage the tools of our technology partners and develop new workflows to enable innovative collection and querying of data
- Identification of key performance indicators that predict scalable strain performance from lab to greenhouse to field
- Jump in and help with whatever is needed to get the job done: NGS analysis, plant-microbe metabolic modelling, UI development, database maintenance, you never know!
- Troubleshoot and improve custom software to enable high throughput molecular biology pipelines
- A working knowledge of molecular biology, microbiology, genetics, and/or biochemistry
- Ability to work well with a team in a fast paced-environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Curiosity and a willingness to learn about emerging technologies that are unfamiliar
- Enjoy customer service and explaining complex concepts to a variety of audiences
- A penchant for teaching concepts in an open and collaborative environment
To learn more about the company:
We are building a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with scientists and engineers from all walks of life. We can’t afford to leave any talent untapped. It is the policy of Joyn Bio to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.