Test Engineer / Analytical Chemist
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
Core to our organism engineering pipeline is the testing and analysis of our engineered strains. We leverage NGS and mass spectrometry to get a detailed picture of the performance of our strains. Our analytical approaches are designed to work across dozens of different cultured ingredients and scale 100-1000x via software and automation. We are seeking analytical chemists to improve and scale our existing technologies, and define and develop the next set of analytical technologies that will lie at the center of our foundries.
The ideal candidate has led the development of a high-throughput assay from development, validation through to successful operation at scale, most likely for NGS or mass spec based assays. A demonstrated ability to evolve a process in response to changing technology and demands is essential. Experience in a mixed team of software developers, process engineers, and biologists is important.
- Operate and improve processes for strain analysis
- Apply DOE approaches to refine and improve sample extraction and assay methods
- Translate assays to be performed by software + automation
- Work hand-in-hand with software and automation engineers to scale up sample extraction methods and assays 100-1000x
- Develop processes for verification and quality control of assays to ensure low CV and reproducibility
- Collaborate with software engineers to ensure that all generated data is captured, stored, and analyzed in Ginkgo's LIMS
- BS or MS in chemistry, bioengineering, chemical engineering, or equivalent
- Experience with analytical methods like LC-MS, HPLC, GC-MS, or NGS
- Familiarity with software or laboratory automation a plus
- Previous experience in microbial metabolomics
- Previous experience in proteomics
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks secures $275 million in Series D, valuing the company at over $1 billion (TechCrunch)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.