Research Associate - NGS
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We believe that engineering organisms to perform useful new functions requires an integrated, industrialized technology pipeline. To address this need, we built ground-breaking bio-manufacturing foundries that include state-of-the art NGS platforms (Illumina and Oxford Nanopore), custom CAD/CAM software, robotic automation, the latest genetic and genome engineering tools, high-resolution LC-MS, automated fermentation, and much more.
We want to hire you because you are excited about the nuts and bolts of genetic and genome engineering - and want to contribute by operating our automated HT-NGS pipelines. You are more interested in operating the state-of-the-art laboratory automation instruments to validate genetic modifications in many organisms than pipetting at the bench. You are also into tracking processes carefully and easily with custom software tools, and recognize the importance of quality control and assurance. And you know that sometimes you just have to do things the "old-fashioned way" to make sure everything is working right.
- Operate high-throughput semi-automated NGS processes (DNA and RNA seq)
- Monitor and report on above processes and perform useful analysis of process data
- Suggest and validate process improvements using your knowledge of molecular and microbiology and experience with their operation
- BS/MS in biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, molecular biology, or related fields
- >1 year experience in a high-throughput biology environment
- Top-notch molecular biology lab skills (NGS experience preferred)
- Scripting or programming experience a plus
- Prior experience with genetic engineering of industrial yeasts or prokaryotes a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks secures $275 million in Series D, valuing the company at over $1 billion (TechCrunch)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.