Research Assistant, Sample Management
We are passionate about engineering organisms at Ginkgo Bioworks. We're guessing you are too.
We believe that engineering organisms to perform useful new functions requires an integrated, industrialized technology pipeline. To address this need, we recently launched Bioworks2: our second-generation foundry for engineering organisms. Bioworks2 includes custom CAD/CAM software, robotic automation, the latest genetic and genome engineering tools, high resolution LC-MS, automated fermentation and much more. You are excited by the possibility to support and learn about how we plan to do an insane amount genome engineering on a daily basis by leveraging technical advances that make it possible to replicate the herculean task that took a team of highly trained people years to complete. Using Bioworks2, we will do that every 6 months!
We want to hire you because you are interested in learning about the nuts and bolts of genetic and genome engineering – and want to begin by providing critical support to the Bioworks1 and Bioworks2 foundries. This involves all aspects of DNA sample management utilizing established custom software tools and laboratory automation with care and the highest quality.
If you are thoughtful, meticulous, well-organized, energetic, collaborative and want to learn about and provide support for a critical set of processes within Bioworks1 and Bioworks2 geared toward the high-throughput genetic engineering of microbes, and potentially contribute to the design and execution of the state-of the-art next generation Biowork3 facilities, please apply.
- Sample intake and distribution within Ginkgo.
- Generation of a company wide sample repository.
- Maintain and keep track of sample quality.
- Storage/retrieval QC
- Assist lab staff with basic bench level molecular biology
- Associate’s degree with 1 year laboratory experience required; Bachelor’s degree in Biology or related discipline preferred.
- Basic computer skills required: word processing and spreadsheets, experience with computer databases preferred.
- Experience operating basic manual (required) and automated laboratory equipment (preferred).
- Must be capable of organizing work, multi-tasking and performing multiple functions that may change over time.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to resolve problems in domain.
- Must be able to perform regular lifting and carrying of heavy items, including weights up to 30 lbs.
- Must be receptive to instruction and demonstrate aptitude for learning new technologies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Must work well independently and also as part of a team.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.