Boston, MA /
Ginkgo is a well-funded, high-growth biotech company in Boston’s Seaport District that is redesigning the living world to solve some of the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our mission to “make biology easier to engineer” is poised to disrupt multiple industries by leveraging our unparalleled data, automation, and scale capabilities in biological engineering. We’re on the lookout for smart, innovative, team-oriented individuals to join us on our mission, and to get the world on board for the ride.
We are looking for a dynamic, motivated Growth Strategist to join our team. Reporting to our Head of Growth as a member of Ginkgo’s Marketing and broader Commercial Teams, you will help us keep up with emerging trends across target industries and mine these trends to identify new potential partners or partnership ideas to grow our commercial pipeline. You’ll also partner with marketing, business development, and technical team members to translate these ideas into actionable opportunities for our team to pursue. Plus, you’ll support our Head of Growth on other strategy and/or marketing-related projects, as needed.
You are a trend spotter who can see opportunity in white space and have a true futurist mindset. You showcase a ton of analytic and strategic horsepower, and balance that with your ability to get people on board with your ideas and build relationships that help you get things done. In addition, you have an uncanny ability to cut through large amounts of disparate information and synthesize it into clear, actionable insights and recommendations.
Ideally, you also have a decent level of understanding of the field of biology. And, most importantly, you see the bigger picture: You’re excited about Ginkgo and eager to help us achieve our mission of making biology easier to engineer. Even if your background isn’t marketing-heavy, you’re eager to jump in, learn, and grow in this space.
- Lead proactive, ongoing market trends-tracking and analysis, finding and distilling pertinent data and information from multiple sources to recommend new industry and company-specific opportunities for Ginkgo to pursue.
- Collaborate with Head of Growth and cross-functional team members to uncover and assess additional opportunities for commercial viability and technical feasibility.
- Through your findings, contribute to high-potential lead identification and customer-specific positioning. Partner with marketing and business development team members on initial pitch process and communications.
- Where needed, coordinate and attend events and conferences to identify new commercial opportunities, generate new leads, and gain market intel.
- Partner to manage research vendor relationships and support new contract negotiations.
- Define, assist with, and implement other marketing, strategy, and/or executional projects, as needed.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field (MBA a plus)
- At least 5 years of relevant strategy, marketing, or market research experience at a biotech company, top-tier management consulting firm, market research firm, innovation firm, or in a related field
- Experience in biology, biotech, or science-related fields strongly preferred (PhD a plus)
- Marketing strategy experience a plus
- Experience working in a startup environment a plus
- High level of self-motivation, agility toward changing priorities, and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Extremely comfortable with ambiguity, making and moving forward with recommendations with incomplete information, and “creating from scratch”
- Track record of seeing opportunities in white space, as a creative thinker who can connect the dots to find opportunities in things that are non-linear or non-obvious
- Ability to distill large sets of disparate information and communicate resulting insights and recommendations to relevant stakeholders in a strong presentation or narrative
- Excellent organizational skills, with strong attention to detail
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills
- Strong collaboration and relationship-building ability across a diverse team
- Enthusiasm for being a part of Ginkgo’s mission
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
This food tech startup just raised $90 million to make it easier to invent new plant-based meats (Fast Company)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.