Strain Engineering Padawan (1-year paid internship)
Bayer and Ginkgo Joint Venture
Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks are joining forces, forming a new company that will build technology to enable microbes to improve key properties of agricultural crops. The company will have laboratories in both Boston, MA, and West Sacramento, CA, where we will leverage the existing organism engineering and plant biologics capabilities of the parent companies. Primary corporate operations will be carried out at Ginkgo Bioworks' headquarters in the Boston Seaport.
We are looking for highly talented and motivated candidates to join us. Key areas of expertise include microbial strain engineering, advanced molecular biology and DNA cloning, plant microbe-interactions, protein engineering, metabolic engineering, bioinformatics, and microbial physiology. Exposure to agriculture and in planta work is a plus.
The ideal candidate will be a fast learner and a critical thinker, with a passion for learning how to make engineering biology more predictable and fail less often, while also translating lab-scale microbial performance into the field. At least 1 year of research experience demonstrating capabilities in microbial engineering or plant microbe-interactions is highly desired.
- Assisting with DNA assembly and microbial engineering
- Run and QC unit operations associated with strain testing including: cultivation, sample extraction, assays and analytics
- Assisting with design, development and improvement of biological assays
- Analyzing large data sets and communicating results to the team
- BS or MS in bioengineering, microbiology, plant science, or related fields
- Experience with DNA manipulation (cloning, PCR, etc) as well as microbial engineering
- Familiarity with DNA design software or laboratory automation is a plus
To learn more about the company: https://www.wired.com/story/with-designer-bacteria-crops-could-one-day-fertilize-themselves
We are building a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with scientists and engineers from all walks of life. We can’t afford to leave any talent untapped. It is the policy of the JV to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.