Ginkgo Bioworks is YCombinator's first biotech company ... we were personally recruited by Sam Altman to join YC: http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/19/sam-altman-on-his-inaugural-batch-of-companies-as-y-combinators-new-head/
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. We engineer organisms to address fundamental challenges the world is facing today. Ginkgo bioengineers make use of an in-house organism foundry to engineer new organisms for making natural products, pharmaceuticals, biofuels, and more. We're making the code base, compiler and debugger for life. We're looking for programmers interested in developing the organism design toolchain - the CAD, CAM and CAT tools that will define how bioengineers design organisms at scale.
- Designing and implementing tools and workflows for genetic design of genes, metabolic pathways and genome modifications
- Programming robots to assemble DNA, modify genomes, culture cells and prepare assay samples
- Developing verification tools for strain construction
- Developing data analysis tools and workflows for processing and analyzing NGS and mass spec data
- Developing the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) that enables bioengineers to use and reuse Ginkgo's growing repository of genetic parts and strains in their designs
- BS or MS in computer science or equivalent experience
- Loves to write elegant code
- Excited to work hand in hand with the foundry team to develop the next generation of foundry for engineering organisms
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.