Ginkgo is building an industrialized foundry for organism engineering. With a single foundry capable of delivering many organisms to customers in many markets, Ginkgo is poised to lead the new generation of organism engineering companies. Already, our foundry is concurrently developing 10+ organisms across multiple species and products.
To realize our dream of building a next-generation organism company, each of these organisms needs to be deployed to customers. We are seeking a fermentation engineer excited to tackle the ambitious challenge of transitioning multiple organisms from microtiter plates, to bench-scale fermentation through scale up and commercial scale manufacturing of ingredients with our customers.
The ideal candidate is passionate about microbial fermentation and process development. You'll work hand in hand with Ginkgo organism engineers to develop bioprocesses for ingredient production using Ginkgo organisms and help transition of bioprocesses to customers and/or contract manufacturers.
- Setup and operation of fully automated bioreactor system for fermentation and downstream processing
- Application of DOE methods for strain and process optimization
- Preparation of SOPs for fermentation and downstream processing
- Aid in tech transfer of strains and bioprocesses to customers and/or contract manufacturers
- BS or MS in chemical engineering, biotechnology or microbiology with 2-5 years of relevant industry experience or PhD with 1-2 years of relevant industry experience
- Previous success in process development and scaling
- Experience working with different yeast strains a plus
- Experience with downstream processing a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.