Senior Fermentation Engineer
Ginkgo is building an industrialized foundry for organism engineering. With a single foundry capable of delivering many organisms to customers in many markets, Ginkgo is poised to lead the new generation of organism engineering companies. Already, our foundry is concurrently developing 10+ organisms across multiple species and products.
To realize our dream of building a next-generation organism company, each of these organisms needs to be deployed to customers. We are seeking a fermentation engineer excited to tackle the ambitious challenge of transitioning multiple organisms from microtiter plates, to bench-scale fermentation through scale up and commercial scale manufacturing of ingredients with our customers.
The ideal candidate is passionate about microbial fermentation and process development. You'll work hand in hand with Ginkgo organism engineers to verify that Ginkgo organisms perform to spec for customers and lead transition of bioprocesses to customers and/or third party contract manufacturers.
- Drive development of fermentation processes across multiple Ginkgo organisms and ingredients
- Work with Ginkgo test engineers to map performance in microtiter plates to that in bench scale fermentation
- Work with Ginkgo organism engineers to verify performance to spec
- Work with Ginkgo chemical and process engineers to develop downstream purification processes
- Lead tech transfer of strains and bioprocesses to customers and/or contract manufacturers
- Ph.D. or equivalent experience with 5+ years relevant industrial experience
- Demonstrated success with process development and scale up of a microbial fermentation process for small molecule production.
- Expertise in scale down approaches (matching performance in microtiter plates to that in fermentation scale) a plus.
- Expertise in Design of Experiments and process modeling a plus.
- Experience with multiple microbial hosts and fermentation systems a plus.
- Experience with tech transfer of materials and processes to customers and/or contract manufacturing facilities a plus.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.