Scientist, Bioinformatics/Computational Biology
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We are seeking a motivated Scientist, Bioinformatics/Computational Biology to join our growing team. Specifically, we are looking for individuals who are passionate about forming a tight, collaborative loop with our wet lab teams to design better experiments and reach faster conclusions. We also need you to stay current on applicable scientific literature and contribute your expertise to enable annotation and data mining of a multitude of challenging organisms.
- Collaborate with wet lab operators on experimental design and analysis to optimize new analytic approaches using NGS technologies
- Analyze sequencing data from multiple NGS technologies and diverse organisms
- Analyze varied genomic data sets (transcriptomics, resequencing, de novo genome assembly, metagenomics, transposon mutagenesis, epigenetics, etc.)
- Improve, formalize, and document internal codebase assets
- Standardize NGS annotation processes for onboarding of new organisms
- Interface with software engineers to create and implement NGS data analysis pipelines for production use
- Liaise with other internal teams to ensure NGS and data analysis are optimally incorporated in the project plans at an early stage and to avoid duplication of effort
- Run and monitor production code for data analysis
- Support data mining for discovery projects
- Monitor scientific literature for new methods and data analysis tools
- Effectively communicate scientific results to technical and non-technical audiences
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- PhD with at least 3 years of experience (or MS with at least 6 years of experience) in a relevant life science/computational biology field
- Demonstrated strong skills in computational biology
- Experience with many or all of the following: Python, bash/unix scripting, samtools, bwa, snakemake, airflow, CWL, relational databases (SQL), samtools, GraphQL, distributed computing (AWS/Google Cloud), Docker, software version control (git)
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Flexibility and willingness to learn in a rapidly changing, growing organization
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
This food tech startup just raised $90 million to make it easier to invent new plant-based meats (Fast Company)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.