Research Associate, Molecular Biology
We are passionate about engineering organisms at Ginkgo Bioworks. We're guessing you are too.
We believe that engineering organisms to perform useful new functions requires an integrated, industrialized technology pipeline. To address this need, we recently launched Bioworks2: our second foundry for engineering organisms. Bioworks1 and Bioworks2 include custom CAD/CAM software, robotic automation, the latest genetic and genome engineering tools, high resolution LC-MS, automated fermentation and much more.
The Build Team at Ginkgo Bioworks is currently seeking a research associate to help engineer high throughput molecular biology platforms that will support construction of a broad diversity of microorganisms that produce specialty chemicals. The ideal candidate will be excited about the nuts and bolts of genetic and genome engineering and will want to contribute by operating our automated molecular biology pipelines. The ideal candidate will also be more interested in operating the state of the art laboratory automation instruments to validate genetic modifications in many organisms than just pipetting at the bench.
- Operate a high-throughput semi-automated molecular biology process
- Share responsibilities professionally with team members
- Interact with software and robotic liquid handlers
- Observe and report any deviations from standard protocol
- Make suggestions for improvements in quality, turnaround time, or capacity
- Work responsibly and within proper safety guidelines
- BS or MS in biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, molecular biology, or related fields
- >2 years in a biology lab environment
- Good understanding of basic molecular biological processes such as PCR, plasmid preparation, yeast and bacterial transformation
- Good understanding of basic statistical analysis methods such as calculating averages and standard deviations
- Experience with high-throughput biology preferred Experience with databases, scripting or programming a plus
- Understanding of manufacturing processes such as 5S a plus
- Prior experience engineering with genetics of industrial yeasts or prokaryotes a plus
- Flexible schedule to accommodate occasional evening or weekend work
- High attention to detail especially when tracking processes using custom software tools.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.