High-Throughput Screening Padawan (1-year paid internship)
Internships and Co-ops
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
Core to our organism engineering pipeline is the testing and analysis of our engineered strains, using state-of-the-art analytical and automation technologies. We are looking for highly talented and motivated students to join our Test team.
The ideal candidate will be a fast learner and a critical thinker, with a passion for high-throughput methods and automation to support organism engineering. At least 1 year of research experience demonstrating capabilities in microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or high-throughput screening is highly desired.
- Run and QC HTS operations including: transformation, cultivation, sample extraction, high-throughput assays, and analytics
- Assisting with design, development, and improvement of HTS operations
- Working with the automation team to create and execute efficient, robust high-throughput workflows
- Analyzing large data sets and communicating results to broader team
- BS or MS in biology, chemistry, bioengineering, chemical engineering, or related fields
- Experience culturing and engineering micro-organisms
- Experience with developing or executing enzyme assays is a plus
- Familiarity with laboratory automation or at least one programming language is a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks secures $275 million in Series D, valuing the company at over $1 billion (TechCrunch)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.