Senior System Administrator
General, Finance & Administration
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. We engineer organisms to address fundamental challenges the world is facing today. Ginkgo bioengineers make use of an in-house organism foundry to engineer new organisms for making natural products, pharmaceuticals, biofuels, and more. We're making the code base, compiler and debugger for life.
Ginkgo is looking for world class system administrators to help us build and scale. Here is your chance to work hand in hand with amazing scientists, engineers and software developers as we build tools that enable access to the power of biology - the most advanced manufacturing technology on the planet. Ginkgo’s IT team is tasked with delivering best of class IT infrastructure to keep our operations running smoothly - are you up for the challenge?
- Build and scale our development, staging, and production environments, both in-house and cloud based
- Build and manage production server hardware and software
- Support scientists, engineers and developers IT needs
- Provide best practices for utilization of hardware, storage, and cloud resources
- Repair and upgrade hardware and software as necessary
- Manage all wired and wireless networks
- Help optimize software development and deployment
- Prepare and implement backups and disaster recovery plans
- 5+ years of IT experience with sysadmin, devops, and network management in a highly scalable production environment
- Expert level knowledge of Linux, MySQL, Postgres, AWS, and Docker
- Moves fluidly between Linux, Mac and Windows
- Familiar with Rancher or similar container management and deployment technologies
- Strong familiarity with Ansible, Chef or similar IT Automation technologies
- Ability to write scripts in your sleep, especially Python and Bash
- Experience with platform virtualization (VMWare, Proxmox)
- Big Data experience a plus
- Amazing troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Can solve all known and unknown challenges of fast growing IT environments
- Keep IT systems purring by proactively finding and resolving issues while ensuring problems do not arise again
- Driven self-starter who sees uptime as its own reward
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.