Synthetic Biologist / Geneticist
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
You have experience in rational design of genetic systems, but also understand the benefits of mutation and evolution in building better strains. You're excited to work with both software developers and organism engineers to develop real design principles for biology. You have insight into leveraging high-throughput DNA synthesis to design effective screens and selections.
Take a look at the following statements:
* You are a student of other engineering fields and look for lessons for engineering biology.
* You think that computers are a bad metaphor for a cell.
* You recognize that biology is a unique engineering substrate that comes pre-loaded with startlingly brilliant code we didn't write.
* You think most people engineering organisms are undisciplined in their approach.
* You recognize that we are at the beginning of engineering organisms and that there will never be another chance like this to define the field.
If these statements describe you and you're up for this challenging position, we look forward to hearing from you.
- PhD or equivalent
- Previous success engineering at least one organism (plants, fish, microbes, worms, fungi ... it doesn't matter, as long as it worked)
- Several years of post-graduate experience with a second organism a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks secures $275 million in Series D, valuing the company at over $1 billion (TechCrunch)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.