Director of Lab Services
General, Finance & Administration
We are passionate about engineering organisms at Ginkgo Bioworks to address fundamental challenges the world is facing today. We want to transform genetic engineering into an integrated, industrialized technology pipeline, and our labs are the center of our work. We have launched multiple foundries for engineering organisms containing custom CAD/CAM software, robotic automation, the latest genetic and genome engineering tools, high resolution LC-MS, automated fermentation, and much more.
As director of lab services, you will support all of our foundry and organism engineers and be critical to the success of our projects. We are looking for a high performing individual who can calmly bring order to chaos. If you are up for a challenge in a fast paced company, apply now!
- Oversee the safe and efficient operation of labs by removing obstacles for scientific productivity
- Manage the lab services team including media prep, glasswash, QC, strain banking, etc. and lead the growth of that team to meet expanding company needs
- Plan and drive the operational excellence and scaling of lab services at Ginkgo
- Be responsible for setting quality control processes
- Maintain the overall cleanliness and efficiency of the labs
- Refactor existing labs to allow for new functionalities and contribute to the design of newly constructed labs
- Assist the equipment manager with the procurement, setup, and servicing of lab equipment
- Assist the safety director with ensuring good laboratory practices
- Manage relationships with contractors and vendors
- B.S. or B.A. in a laboratory related field
- 10+ years experience in a laboratory support function
- Prior people management experience
- Strong problem solving abilities, customer service mindset, and excellent communication skills
- Experience with automated laboratory equipment a plus
We have been named #7 on CNBC's most disruptive companies list for 2 years in a row.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some other press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.