Senior Software Engineer in Test
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
Ginkgo has built a strong set of internal software tools and automation processes that enable high-throughput genetic engineering across our platform. As a Senior Software Engineer in Test (SDET), you’ll be helping us further design, build, and test these tools and processes that will ultimately define how our bioengineers design organisms at scale.
Using your in-depth knowledge of QA, test design, and test automation, you’ll be expanding our software and automation capabilities, while also making these tools and processes easier and more efficient to use. You’ll also be improving the overall quality of our system via modern testing tools and techniques. Plus, you’ll be creating test suites that will analyze both our UI and server software, which are critical to our deployment pipeline as a whole.
- Define and implement effective test and automation strategies
- Establish and execute test processes (and improve upon existing ones) to accelerate our overall efficiency
- Work closely with multiple scrum teams and the Software Product Team to improve our overall software quality
- Collaborate with software engineers and the Software Product Team to help prioritize most critical tests
- Define, script, and update robust test suites that integrate with our CI/CT/CD pipelines for testing both UIs and servers
- Recommend and implement appropriate tools required for effective testing
- Ensure quality software deliverables by maintaining high standards and implementing new processes as required
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- 5+ years of QA testing and automation experience for both frontend and backend integration tests
- Strong knowledge of QA techniques and processes
- Demonstrated experience with defining test strategies
- Ability to make recommendations on testing tools
- Ability to work independently in defining and writing tests
- Enthusiasm for working with the best scientists and engineers to develop and test new software tools that solve never-before-seen scientific challenges
- Ability to work onsite in our Boston office, located in the city’s thriving Seaport district
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
This food tech startup just raised $90 million to make it easier to invent new plant-based meats (Fast Company)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.