Senior Fermentation Engineer
Boston, MA /
Foundry: Fermentation /
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
To realize our dream of building a next-generation organism company, each of these organisms needs to be deployed to customers. We’re seeking a Senior Fermentation Engineer who is excited to tackle the ambitious challenge of transitioning multiple organisms from microtiter plates, to bench-scale fermentation through scale-up and commercial-scale manufacturing of ingredients with our customers.
With your strong passion for microbial fermentation and process development, you’ll work hand-in-hand with Ginkgo’s organism engineers to verify that Ginkgo organisms perform to spec for customers. Plus, you’ll lead the transition of those bioprocesses to customers and/or third-party contract manufacturers.
- Drive development of fermentation processes across multiple Ginkgo organisms, with a focus on filamentous fungi
- Work with Ginkgo’s high-throughput screening team to map performance in microtiter plates to that in bench-scale fermentation
- Collaborate with Ginkgo’s organism engineers to close the feedback loop and improve the strain genotype with each fermentation cycle
- Develop downstream purification processes with Ginkgo’s chemical and process engineers
- Lead tech transfer of strains and bioprocesses to customers and/or contract manufacturers
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- PhD or equivalent experience with 5+ years’ relevant industry experience
- Demonstrated success with process development and scale-up of a microbial fermentation process for small molecule or enzyme production
- Experience with filamentous fungi required; experience with additional microbial hosts a plus
- Expertise in scale-down approaches (such as matching performance in microtiter plates to that in fermentation scale) a plus
- Knowledge of design of experiments and process modeling a plus
- Experience with tech transfer of materials and processes to customers and/or contract manufacturing facilities a plus
- Ability to work well with a team in a fast paced-environment
- Experience mentoring junior team members and leading projects
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
This food tech startup just raised $90 million to make it easier to invent new plant-based meats (Fast Company)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.